Discuss Commissioning under floor heating in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

rj1882

TF
Reaction score
Good evening. Could someone kindly give me an idea of the process of commissioning water fed under floor heating which has been set in sand and cement screed. It’s fully dried and is ready to be commissioned record I may it and tile it.
I’ve got some knowledge but it would be great to gain some more knowledge. Least of all so I can show the builder in black and white the process

thanks in advance

O

Old Mod

Starting at its lowest setting of ambient temp approx 15°
Start to increase temp to max at a rate of 5° every two days until maximum is reached.
Hold for 48hrs and decrease till back at ambient temp at the same rate as you took it up.
it takes a couple of weeks normally.
Then leave off for 24hrs before tiling.
Others say 5° a day, from what I’ve learnt over the years, a rate of 2.5° a day is preferred.
There will always be different opinions on a matter like this, but as an average, it seems to be the safest route.

rj1882

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was thinking along the same tracks but just needed someone else’s opinion. Thank you.

D

Dumbo

The fact youre having to show your builder bothers me , this makes me think he is tiling it and didnt want to commision correctly .
If this is the case what else is he going to do wrong , does he have the skill set ,
Hopefully im wrong but if not please get a tiler

rj1882

TF
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I’m tiling it but just. Had to explain why this needs to be done. I know many builders that look in shock horror when you tell them the floor needs commissioning lol

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Pretty much as 3fall says above. However you will not be able to start as low as 15C as the temperature needs to be set at the manifold and the room stats over ridden somthat theh dont cut in and out in order to give a constant flow temperature. Your manifold is likely to start at either 25 or 35C. I would normally say max 5 degrees per day after 3 days but with sand cement slower is better so not going to argue with 2.5C per day. Once the process is complete it can take up to 48 hours for the screed to properly cool down.

Once complete a moisture Test is recommended prior to priming and tiling.

H

hmtiling

If you're planning on using ditra/durabase or any other membrane which offers vapour equalisation then the moisture doesn't matter but the commissioning process is still vital

Reply to Commissioning under floor heating in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks