Discuss Colour bleeding from biscuit base - does it happen??? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
HI
We have just completed 22 sq m of brilliant white ceramic tiles over marmox boards with Ardex X77W adhesive in a bathroom. The adhesive was well dry before we started grouting (several weeks). Started grouting with BAL Micromax 2 in white; we used 3mm spacers for the joints. In several large areas the grout is discoloured a lightish terracotta colour. We thought perhaps it needed to dry out so left it several days but discolouration still very noticeable. Looking more closely it appears that the colour may have bled out of the terracotta-coloured biscuit base of the tiles. The bleeding has occurred on uncut edges of the tiles. It appears more noticeable where the ceramic glaze does not wrap fully over the front edge of the tile and down the edge, but also occurs where there is good ceramic wrap-round.I cannot find any similar threads so has anyone experienced this. Not sure it shows up well in photos but I attach some if it helps. If so, any suggestions on how to solve this problem and avoid it in the rest of the bathroom. We'll have to rake out and re-grout the 3 sq m we have done so far. Joy!
Thanks

Attachments

• Bleed_1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Bleed_2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 38
  • OK area.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Bleeding area!.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 38

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The bleed is not coming from the Marmox boards or the adhesive (in my opinion).
The grout is BAL (a good name). The tile is the unknown here. You could test a bit of tile with a damp cloth and see if the biscuit bleeds.

I assume you used clean bucket and grout float?

My only solution would be to use a grout colourant. Search 'Universeal Grout Rescue'. Paint this over the grout. It masks the problem and it is a permanent mask.

Reaction score
Hi Sean - thanks for the reply - yes I used clean water and a brand new float. I am testing some cut edges and uncut tiles today to see if it bleeds. I agree the tiles are the unknown, they are from a reasonable large Spanish manufacturer, sold through Walls & Floors and certainly not particularly cheap! I am thinking that it may have been one particularly batch as the grout lines worst affected are all on tiles in one area which we probably took from the same box. If it is the tiles, I was wondering whether a grout sealant painted into the grout line to seal the tiles before grouting might work.

I have no experience of grout colourant but was concerned whether it would stand up to duty in the bathroom and shower area. Saying that - I'll test anything that might save raking out the grout!

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ive had before from cheap tiles........very thin glaze, not glazed on edge, damp gets under edge. May, or may not dry out 🥴

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Occasionally had a similar problem with Bal MM2 white grout, sometimes had a yellowish colour to it when it dried.

Stopped happening after I started using Tilemaster Grout 3000.;)

D

Dumbo

Its the grout .
Read a page ona social media with proffesionals complaing of this with this grout

Reply to Colour bleeding from biscuit base - does it happen??? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks