Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cleaning victorian geometric in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

Had a bit of nightmare at work. I poured some floor level onto a step which was to be tiled with new victorian geometric. I then went to get some lunch, when I came back the level had broken/leaked through the barrier I'd set up, and had run all over remaining victorian geometric floor below the step. It must have been on there at least ten minutes. I sponged it off as quickly as possible with several buckets of water, then wiped it with some white spirit. It looked clean through the water, however, in between each sponging off the customer noticed a very slight cloudy film as it was drying (similar to the residue after grouting that you clean off with kitchen towel). I did keep sponging off with more clean water but not sure it was totally successful.

This all happened late in the day and it was getting dark. I won't know until tomorrow if it has left cloudy residue - I did try to reassure the customer it wouldn't stain, but he looked sceptical and now its put doubt in my mind as well. Is it possible for floor level compound to stain, and if it has, is there anything that could clean it off?

The brand of level was Norcos No Nonsense from Screwfix, if thats any help.

Any advice with this would be very much appreciated.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oh Doug!

I guess it depends whether or not the tiles were sealed.

If it was my problem I would try a neutral cleaner. I have used Fila neutral cleaner in the past. It can do no harm.

You might have to end up doing the whole floor as if you clean a section of floor it is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

I expect Lithofin Bob will be on here soon to offer better advice. Good luck I hope it turns out ok.

OP
D

dougmontgomery

Oh Doug!

I guess it depends whether or not the tiles were sealed.

If it was my problem I would try a neutral cleaner. I have used Fila neutral cleaner in the past. It can do no harm.

You might have to end up doing the whole floor as if you clean a section of floor it is going to stand out like a sore thumb.

I expect Lithofin Bob will be on here soon to offer better advice. Good luck I hope it turns out ok.

Thanks Sean. Not sure if they were sealed because everything below the step was laid by someone else. If I tried going over the whole floor with the Fila neutral, is it easy to use or could it look patchy if you've never used it before?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Perfect advice from Sean , start with a neutral cleaner as directed- test with a white pad or brush to give aid cleaning, what will occur , is you will clean so will leave a clean patch , different to rest. This will re- dirt down again with time , but will stand out to start- sure client will be fine with this - if not you may have to do all .

Now if this doesn't remove and there is def no seal, your levaler being cementisiouse ,you may need to test a cement residue remover- start very dilute-1-15 maybe again white pad. Test and ajust dilution if req .Again this will clean as above so may leave a clean patch.

If no luck- take a pic so we can have a look and go from there. Also if you can find out if a seal was used or do a water test on them this will give us more info as may have whitened a seal excess.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry Doug, I forgot to hit the submit key last night!...............

It's like a grout haze remover, but it's very kind to the tile. Other grout haze products are acid based. This one is not. You dilute with water and you have to start off with the weakest solution and then increase the strength if it does not work.

Microfibre clothes and emulsifying pads and are good at removing stains too.

OP
D

dougmontgomery

The process doesn't sound too daunting, which is what I was worried about.
Much appreciated Bob, thanks :)

OP
D

dougmontgomery

Thanks again Sean. Great advice. Will try that cleaner if I have to. I was going to look at it this morning but I thought 'hold on - surely its best left to the customer to contact me if he notices'. I'm not going to draw attention to it. So far they haven't phoned up or anything, so Im assuming it hasn't stained.

Reply to Cleaning victorian geometric in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock