Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cleaning Epoxy Grout on textured porcelain tiles in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

azrno1

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I have had both polished and matt textured wood effect tiles laid in my house and am having Kerapoxy installed on both floors.

The tiler installed the Kerapoxy on the polished floors last week and despite doing a great job of cleaning up after himself there was still a greasy/sticky grout haze left the following day and I had to use a Fila epoxy remover and hours of elbow grease (and plenty of rags!) to get the haze off, which I did eventually.

That was an area of 20sqm and the tiler is about to grout our kitchen which is 32sqm of textured wood effect porcelain tiles. He did a small section yesterday and 24 hours later I wasn't able to see any grout haze, but when I touched the tiles I could feel a slight Epoxy residue on the surface of the tile, but they look great and the haze isn't noticeable as the tiles are textured.

I wanted to ask whether there would be a problem if I didn't clean the film off? My understanding is that it will eventually go hard, but as it is not visible will that be a problem on these textures tiles? I really don't fancy spending another 3-4 hours scrubbing and buffing if I don't need to. Also, as this tiler used brick acid (I know!) to clean these tiles prior to grouting, I am wondering whether the extra layer of epoxy will go some way to protecting the tiles against stains as a result of the acid etching the surface of the tile?

Any advice is appreciated as I won't have long before the haze starts to harden!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,

You can use paint remover to soften residues of epoxy grout, obviously you will have to take the normal precautions such as good ventilation, wear a mask and gloves etc.

Make sure that keep the grout joints free of the remover as it will soften the joints. Use an emulsifying pad to help with cleaning off the haze and then clean water. If you have an epoxy grout left in any areas, you can also use a heat gun to soften epoxy grout as it reacts to heat.

Good luck!

Reaction score
With regard to the surface of the tile being etched by Hydrochloric acid, that particular acid shouldn't affect the tile.

OP
A

azrno1

-
Reaction score
With regard to the surface of the tile being etched by Hydrochloric acid, that particular acid shouldn't affect the tile.
Hi,

You can use paint remover to soften residues of epoxy grout, obviously you will have to take the normal precautions such as good ventilation, wear a mask and gloves etc.

Make sure that keep the grout joints free of the remover as it will soften the joints. Use an emulsifying pad to help with cleaning off the haze and then clean water. If you have an epoxy grout left in any areas, you can also use a heat gun to soften epoxy grout as it reacts to heat.

Good luck!
Thanks Wayne. Do you know whether leaving the haze on a matt textured tile will cause a problem? The tiles are white so the haze isn't visible, even though I know there is one there by touch

OP
A

azrno1

-
Reaction score
That's reassuring to know. Our stainless steel dishwasher was damaged by the Hydrochloric acid vapours, so I thought that given the strength of the acid it would have damaged the tiles and made them porous and susceptible to staining, especially as they are white.

Reassuring to know that this is unlikely

Reply to Cleaning Epoxy Grout on textured porcelain tiles in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock