Discuss Cleaning black slate bathroom tiles HELP! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Twinmadhouse

My black slate bathroom tiles have been down about 8 years. See picture:
IMG_20131203_110648.jpg

TBH they weren't perfect from day one. One of our builders left some lovely gritty footprints through the wet sealer :-(

Anyway we've had a go at resealing them a couple of times in the past but they look worse than ever at the moment. We have 3 small children who drip toothpaste, soap and bodily fluids (boys wee seems to contain some kind of acid that could be used in a nuclear war) all over the floor. Can't decide whether to get someone in or tackle it myself so I'm posting in here and in the tiler wanted section.

IMG_20131203_110715.jpg

This gives you an idea of some of the marks around the basin.

What on earth do I use to get this clean and how do I apply it? I've seen talk of buffing machines, wire scrubber, scrubbing brushes, etc.

I love the kind of sheen that it has just after I've mopped it and that's how I'd like it to look when it's done (dark black and a bit shiny but not see your face in it shiny). What kind of finish is that and how should I apply it?

Some of the grout is a bit grubby in places. Is there someway of cleaning that?

I need to get the room redecorated. Do I get that done first or is it better to sort the floor first?

Finally, how do I look after them so that they don't end up in this state again?

Thanks for any advice
Harassed Mum who wishes someone would invent a self-cleaning house!

Q

Qwerty

Okay. My advice is firstly to decorate. Then thoroughly clean tiles using LTP grimex and then reseal with LTP iron wax satin or mattstone. Both have a similar look to that which you desire but are different sealers. The grimex should suffice in cleaning the tiles & grout but if not then consider LTP solvex.
Maintain with LTP waxwash if using the mattstone sealer or floorshine if using the iron wax satin. Both are great sealers, just different types.
What type of sealer was used before?

T

Twinmadhouse

Okay. My advice is firstly to decorate. Then thoroughly clean tiles using LTP grimex and then reseal with LTP iron wax satin or mattstone. Both have a similar look to that which you desire but are different sealers. The grimex should suffice in cleaning the tiles & grout but if not then consider LTP solvex.
Maintain with LTP waxwash if using the mattstone sealer or floorshine if using the iron wax satin. Both are great sealers, just different types.
What type of sealer was used before?

Thank you :hurray:

What should I use to apply the grimex? Do I need a wire brush or just a scrubbing brush or something else?

I think we had an LTP sealer last time (the packaging looks familiar), although I think we maybe only put one coat on. Would you put a few coats on? Just with a brush?

Q

Qwerty

Grimex mixed with water & applied with a stiff scrubbing brush. Sealer applied with a paint pad or gloss roller. Yes two coats should suffice

Reaction score
This may help.
cement away.jpg-large.jpg
Universeal Cement Away, tiles at the top covered in excess grout scrubbed with cement away, washed down with clean water results in the tile looking great again.

Reply to Cleaning black slate bathroom tiles HELP! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks