Discuss Citb Diploma Or City & Guild Award? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jjmelve93

Hey folks, very new to tiling but after tiling my own bathroom and enjoying the work doing it I have decided a career path with this profession. I have looked at 2 week intensive courses to get me started ,however one of them offers a (City & Guilds award) at the end of it and the other offer's a (CITB) Diploma. Each of the courses are priced roughly the same. I can do the City & Guilds award in Edinburgh which is more convenient or I can travel to Bradford and do the CITB one there and stay at a family's home.

However as I will be working and living in Scotland (Angus area) I want to know which would be more advantageous to gain before I do further training for example working to an NVQ or part time shadowing a qualified Tiler, can anyone advise?

All your comments would be muchly appreciated!

Josh

U

Unused Account 1

Hey josh ,great what your doing ,but the best bit of advice i can give you,find a tiler in your area and work for him for free 2 or 3 days a week,youll learn a lot of ideas and skills from him ,i did it when i was at college 14 years ago ,the best thing i did ,especially now as so many products about ,knowledge ofmaterials is one of the best things ,good luck

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Dont worry about the diploma etc , they are not really worth the paper they are written on.. True qualifications take a lot longer than 2 weeks.

If you think you can benefit from a short experience course then go for it but dont expect the paper they give you to carry any weight qualification wise..

J

jjmelve93

Appreciate the feedback guys, the trouble is I work full time already and find it hard to get any spare time at the weekends, im happy to take holiday time off work to train but i want to gain some experience at least to start domestic jobs.

T

Time's Ran Out

Spoiler alert!
A 2 week course will provide you with the basics to do your own bathroom, but to think you can then go out at weekends and do domestic work and get paid is expecting too much.
By the time you buy your tools, public liability insurance, tax and national insurance, it'll be months before you make a penny.
This is a trade that should be regulated and although enjoying the work is the most important part, to charge for work requires a commitment and level of service beyond DIY.

E

EdinTiler

I went the other way. I started off working for a tiler in 2003. He thought he was the bollox and didn't mind telling me this every working day. Trouble is that he believed his own hype and if truth be told, his work was terrible. So I went down to Stoke (I'm from Edinburgh) and did a PITT 2 week training course. I learned more from that 2 weeks than I did from over a year of working for this pellet, who I quickly realised was as much a tiler as I am a cardio-thoracic surgeon. I have actually rectified about 5 of his jobs through pure chance.
The irony of this story is that my father is a tiler but we never spoke for years and years and after completing the course we made amends and worked together for 2 years before I went out on my own. We still get on very well to this day. He's retired now.
Anyway, out of the 16 people that were on the course, I'm the only one that went on to do it full time. I was lucky that I had my father to come back and work, learn and train with. If I hadn't, I seriously think I wouldn't be in the trade to this day. Reason being that it's all and well doing a course but you're going into a paying customers home and that's a whole different ball game when you don't have any actual 'experience'.
It's all or nothing really. Do as the lads say and work for a reputable tiler for long enough until you're doing jobs for them on your own and your standard is high. This takes years though and this puts people off of jumping in at the deep end and actually doing the above.
I also agree with timeless John that our trade should be regulated a lot more rigoresly than it is at the moment. The amount of people and customers that I know and have met that thought it was easy until they actually tried it is immense.
EdinTiler

O

One Day

Damn right it should be regulated. The main reason i quit the tile association was their complete disinterest in regulation. there's a
Thread on here where a lady is about to let a tiler install and tile a wetroom/level access tray, and even though he's never done one before! She's on here asking for help so she can guide him! About 25 percent of all my work is ripping out and putting right wet areas and showers which have been installed by people who really aren't capable. I would far prefer to spend more time installing right the first time.

T

The D

the 2 week C&G award will be a 6219 and is the most basic introduction to tiling. It really is worth nothing it was designed for pre 16 and 16 to 19 to have a go and see if they like tiling(the award is given to the youngsters to make them feel like they have achieved something) and if they do they can progress on to a C&G Diploma level 1 (one year) and then on to a level 2 (one year)
The 6219 has been hijacked and is sold as a C&G award by privet training companies to people that want a fast track in to the trade and don't want to or can't afford to spend the time doing things the right way but most of them don't spend the time finding out what the "C&G award" will actually get them if they did they would not wast there time and money on this qualification.

At the moment you can work in the domestic market in this country as a tiler without holding any qualifications what so ever, if you have a van and the tools and the attitude to give it a go you can! and this forum is proof of this as there are only a hand full of "tilers" on here that have had any formal training and even fewer that hold a qualification

If you want to gain a recognised NVQ qualification so you can work within the construction industry as a professional wall and floor tiler you will need to have 5 years experience and then build a portfolio of the work you have cared out and cross reference the work to the NVQ criteria.
There is no time limit on how long it will take, you just keep ticking off each unit as you do them.

A

Aston

Can i just add something.

Right, a 2 week course will give you 2 weeks experience...no, seriously, think about it??? 2 weeks course = 2 weeks experience...now when you think about it, what can you really take from 2 weeks. You cannot condition much in 2 weeks, you will forget 50% of it after 1 week and in the real world, its so insignificant it really doesnt register....most of the time people are hooked by the qualification but in reality, it will count for nothing except the paper its written on..forget short cuts and quick fixes, they dont exist, just accept, it will take between 3-5 years to be decent at wall and floor tiling because thats the truth and it could take longer if your only experience is a 2 week course followed by you tube and forum tuition.

Tbo, i have been in the construction game since 1985 but tiling had been a big part of my life since 2006, so 10 years on and im still learning new things every day. Master the basics and then keep progressing in every area, when you have done that, dont get carried away, accept that there will be more to come because thats tiling...people dont change much but tiles, adhesives and methods seem to be changing by the month ;0)

O

One Day

And no matter how much experience you have, or however many qualifications you might have; you still have to deal with the resultant mess that builders, plasterers, plumbers etc create and leave behind.
To be a really good tiler you have to be able to swim right through the sea of stupidity and ignorance in order to deliver a first rate job. And that takes a lot of time, skill, endurance, patience and experience.

Reply to Citb Diploma Or City & Guild Award? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks