Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Choosing the right course in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everyone, new to the forum and new to the world of tile. I'm looking for a career change away from my current trade (car mechanic) . I'm really eager to get into tile, for some reason there's just something about it that really interests me. Anyway, I've done a bit of research and it seems most people go to UK Pro tile, well this is 6 hours each way from me. The other option is gold trowel which is 3 hours away but doesn't have half the reviews that UK Pro has. Would uk Pro be worth travelling for over gold trowel? It's so hard to choose which is the right one for me. They both seem to say relatively the same things about what the course includes. And the other decision is how long the course is, for instance uk Pro do 9 day course and 13 day, which would I be better going for!? Again gold trowel do 10 day and 3 weeks. How much do I need to know and learn to have enough info and training to actually earn a wage from it? Do I need to know about working with things like natural stone and 600x600? I havnt got a clue, decisions decisions! Sorry for the long post by the way!
Many thanks

T

Time's Ran Out

@Daniel Beard - welcome to the forum and enjoy!
Firstly Uk Pro sponsor this forum and therefore I for one would be bias towards their courses. From the reviews and information provided - along with many members opinions - Uk Pro is the one to pursue. For either of the courses 9/13 days you may be better staying at a B@B for the duration and they used to advise/ have accommodation available.
That said, you must be able to support yourself in the early days, as it will take a while to build up any contacts and have a income that you have now.
All I can say is this is the best trade around and extremely satisfying.
Good luck and stick around, ask questions and remember - walk before you run!

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks John. The other decision to make is which length course is suitable for me, I.e is the 13 day course worth the extra 400 quid, do I really need that extra 4 days etc etc

T

Time's Ran Out

I would think that it will take you that little bit further towards your goal.
Remember these are basic courses to give you a taste of working with tiles in workshop conditions.
After your course contact a local tiler to see if they would be open to buddying up with you for a few days. There are a few tilers on here from Dorset/ Hampshire so try them 1st.

Reaction score
I did the 9-day UK Protiling course a couple of months ago. The first week is 4 days tile and a 1-day natural stone and business course which is seriously useful. Week 2 is more advanced tile which should give you the skills and confidence to go out and do basic paid work. The extra week on the 13 day course is where you're given a kitchen mockup to tile in herringbone with wraps around pipe boxes etc. You're treated like a tradesman working for a customer ie shown a picture of what the customer wants and told to crack on with it although Darren is there to steer you right if you get stuck.
The pace on all the courses is intensive but there's a lot to cover. 7:45 starts and a working lunch. Glad I did it and would recommend it highly.
Best thing to do is ring Tracey and have a chat. She'll steer you right.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Steve. I think I'd definitely prefer to do the 13 day one then for that extra bit of responsibility, I.e doing it in realistic circumstances, like you say, being shown the job and then just left to get on with it. The only down side for me is accommodation, I'm 6 hours away so would mean staying there and I'm not sure it would be worth coming home for the weekends, in which case 17 days accomodation is at least 400 quid on its own, then probably around 100-150 fuel on top as well as food etc. Probably cost me another 650 on top of the course fee!

OP
D
Reaction score
Cheers Jcrtiling.
I did the 9-day UK Protiling course a couple of months ago. The first week is 4 days tile and a 1-day natural stone and business course which is seriously useful. Week 2 is more advanced tile which should give you the skills and confidence to go out and do basic paid work. The extra week on the 13 day course is where you're given a kitchen mockup to tile in herringbone with wraps around pipe boxes etc. You're treated like a tradesman working for a customer ie shown a picture of what the customer wants and told to crack on with it although Darren is there to steer you right if you get stuck.
The pace on all the courses is intensive but there's a lot to cover. 7:45 starts and a working lunch. Glad I did it and would recommend it highly.
Best thing to do is ring Tracey and have a chat. She'll steer you right.

Did you get to lay 600x600 tiles on the 9 day course?

Reaction score
No, but the theory of larger tiles was covered.

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of tile my whole downstairs in 600 x 600 glazed porcelain with a 1mm grout gap. Laying the Ditra mat tomorrow. Might be biting off more than I can chew for a first job, but I'll know soon enough

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of tile my whole downstairs in 600 x 600 glazed porcelain with a 1mm grout gap. Laying the Ditra mat tomorrow. Might be biting off more than I can chew for a first job, but I'll know soon enough

You have enough confidence to do it then from just the theory surrounding it in the course? You'll have to upload some pics when it's done. Be good to see it. That ditra mat, that's to stop cracks when the screed moves isn't it? I think anyway..

OP
D
Reaction score
You have enough confidence to do it then from just the theory surrounding it in the course? You'll have to upload some pics when it's done. Be good to see it. That ditra mat, that's to stop cracks when the screed moves isn't it? I think anyway..

Another question, do they teach you how to level a floor at all prior to laying floor tiles on the 9 day course?

Reply to Choosing the right course in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock