Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Choosing the right course in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Well ive decided to look for a plastering and tile course and its been i task over the last few days, im in the army and im planning on doing these courses as part of my resettlement and retrade. i have seen a couple of companys that have taken my interest as they offer NVQ's but also some offer multitrade. we get £2500 grant to do our training but must be level 3 and these offer level 2 so i may have to pay for the course myself.

If someone can give me the lowdown on some of these companys i would be greatful. They are Goldtrowel, Ableskills, access training and UK Trades training, they all seem very good in there own right but would like an expert opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

The D

You will NOT get a NVQ level 2 or a level 3 from a short course in fact you will not get an NVQ at all if you have not been in the trade for at least 3 years.
You can do a diploma as they are Made up of simulated evidence but not really worth the paper they are printed on.

OP
M

Mos1971

These companys are advertising that you get a NVQ, so if thats not the way even with a collage they offer NVQ's what is the correct qualification, thanks for your advice i just need to go down the right road so im not wasting money

OP
T

The D

Even if you go to a college that is offering an NVQ if you have no experience and you are not already working in the industry you will only do a diploma. When you start working in the industry you can then start to gather the evidence you will need for an NVQ this all takes time there is no short cuts. If you have been tile for three years or more there are ways of getting your NVQ in a short time but if you are just getting in to the trade you will not get an NVQ in weeks or even months it takes two years for a level 2 and that is only if you are doing tile jobs for a company or if you are self employed.

The way the NVQ’s are advertised IMO is misleading there was a company that advertised beginner to NVQ2 in 26 weeks but this is not possible and the last I herd of them they was being investigated for fraud.

The fast track NVQ is for tilers that have been in the trade and served there time but have no formal qualification all they need to do is provide the evidence required and that is that.
If you have not worked in the industry you will not get a legitimate NVQ.

OP
T

The D

I have looked at some of the centres you have mentioned and what they are offering is to take your money in return for some training and at the end they will register you on to an NVQ this dose not mean you have an NVQ it means you are working towards an NVQ it is up to you to provide the evidence and some of the criteria is not done a lot even by the time served tilers so this can take some time all the evidence required is work based there for can not be simulated and just doing the task once in the work place doesn’t prove competence.

If you want to get a bit of practise at tile go to any one of the privet centres. But IMO if you want a qualification go to a college.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Do they actually say you'll get an NVQ, or do they say "Trained to NVQ2"? You can get the training for that level, but like Deano's saying, you can only get an NVQ with on-the-job experience.. Depending on the sort of work you plan to do, you may not need a qualification though.. ;)

Reply to Choosing the right course in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock