Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Chipboard floor prep in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys, this is my first post so please be gentle on me!! I'm a self employed tiler although sadly I wasnt on the job trained I went to a college in the UK to qualify in 8 weeks. Seemed at the time that it was a reasonable thing to do but reading through the posts desperately craving technical knowledge I realise quite how much these establishments are churning people out without the proper information to carry out jobs to a standard. Luckily I've got six years experience as a Stonemason behind me (did my apprenticeship and first introduced to tile whilst doing wet trades at the College of FE on my 'day release'!) which has given me a good background knowledge in building. And yet still I struggle and without this site and all you guys giving great advice I would be up the proverbial creek! Anyway my question is this. I've got a bathroom to do, walls and floor. Taken advantage of Ardex doing a free WPC kit this month (thanks to info gleaned off this site! Thanks again lads!) and I'm going to be using it on the shower area in this bathroom. The customer didnt want it but I told him I was getting it for nothing and wouldn't charge him for the material or the labour as I just want to see what it's like and at the time I knew his accepting my quote was borderine and this offer sealed it. Anyway I was wondering, as I know I'll have a lot left over, is it possible to deck the chipboard floor out with 18mm ply and then instead of using a backer board just paint the wpc on to it for moisture stability? Just while I've got it and it means I can hand my bill in for less than my quote was as I wont have to use the wedi or the extra https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ or extra labour. And knocking money off my quotes is something I'm getting a rep for and it seems to be working for me. Question is, would it work??!!

Cheers for any feedback lads, would be most appreciated. Sorry for going on a bit

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
how stable is the floor , is there much deflection in it, if the floor is solid , you could go 12mm ply , then 6mm backer board glued and screwed

if the floor is bouncy , i would take up chip board and put extra noggins to strengthen the floor leave out chip board and go 18 mm ply 6 mm backer, hope this helps

andy8758

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post so please be gentle on me!! I'm a self employed tiler although sadly I wasnt on the job trained I went to a college in the UK to qualify in 8 weeks. Seemed at the time that it was a reasonable thing to do but reading through the posts desperately craving technical knowledge I realise quite how much these establishments are churning people out without the proper information to carry out jobs to a standard. Luckily I've got six years experience as a Stonemason behind me (did my apprenticeship and first introduced to tile whilst doing wet trades at the College of FE on my 'day release'!) which has given me a good background knowledge in building. And yet still I struggle and without this site and all you guys giving great advice I would be up the proverbial creek! Anyway my question is this. I've got a bathroom to do, walls and floor. Taken advantage of Ardex doing a free WPC kit this month (thanks to info gleaned off this site! Thanks again lads!) and I'm going to be using it on the shower area in this bathroom. The customer didnt want it but I told him I was getting it for nothing and wouldn't charge him for the material or the labour as I just want to see what it's like and at the time I knew his accepting my quote was borderine and this offer sealed it. Anyway I was wondering, as I know I'll have a lot left over, is it possible to deck the chipboard floor out with 18mm ply and then instead of using a backer board just paint the wpc on to it for moisture stability? Just while I've got it and it means I can hand my bill in for less than my quote was as I wont have to use the wedi or the extra https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ or extra labour. And knocking money off my quotes is something I'm getting a rep for and it seems to be working for me. Question is, would it work??!!

Cheers for any feedback lads, would be most appreciated. Sorry for going on a bit

Hello JLM and welcome. I think we all need a bit more information here - it sounds like you are installing a wet room, and if that is true that will be a different ball game.

Basically, you can tile on the ply after coating the back and edges with something like BAL's SBR primer. You do not need to use a tile backer board as well. You only need to apply a waterproof coating to surfaces that will either be submerged, or will have heavy spraying against them (i.e. directly in shower area).

The private colleges that "churn out" tile courses are generally extremely good at what they say they will do - i.e. teach you the basic skills to become a tile professional. To become a pro tiler you also need experience. That is what you are now getting. This is the most stressful part of developing your skills and knowledge, and you will make the mistakes which will give you the experience. It will cost you effort, worry, and money. But if you persevere you will succeed.
Oh and do not get a rep as a tiler who "knocks off money" - strive for a rep as a tiler who produces outstanding quality work. You will need to set your prices low until you get that good quality rep - so congratulate yourself when you win a job, when you solve the problems thrown up by it, and when you produce a beautifully tiled finish. Dont congratulate yourself for being a cheap tiler. Good luck and welcome to the forums. :hurray:

OP
J

JLM Tiling

Nah lads it's not a wet room it's just a standard shower sitting above a tray. I just wanted to give him more really. I know it's over the top but since i've got the gear and I'll have enough left over I might as well. The floor is bloody solid, had a good jump on it and she's more than up to the task I just have a hatred of chipboard, done a lot of refurbishments over the years and I've never seen chipboard in good nick apart from at the merchants! But it sounds like ply with the primer will be up to scratch. Do you know any other makes that will be suitable? Just can only get Ardex and some Mapei products over here.

Andy I have to agree with what you say about the colleges, they do teach you the basic skills and they do it well. And the college I went to was smashing but I think that a bit more theory would be necessary. Even if it was just some literature they give you to look through yourself. Also as for the reputation bit I couldn't agree more with what you say. Finish for me is everything. One of my golden rules is 'near enough ain't good enough' and it stands me in good stead. I certainly wouldnt say I'm cheap and I certainly dont want a reputation as that it's more about being fair to the customer and being honest at the end of the job and saying yeah I over priced that, didnt take as long as I thought so discount blah blah. People dont say i'm cheap but they do say i'm a decent honest guy who does a good job. And I'm really modest too!!

Cheers for the info fellas, think i'm gonna be quite reliant on this site for some time!! Looking forward to the day when I can answer a question for some other newbie!!

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
ardex or mapei are the best imo

i would install backer board over the ply if i was you , alot of poor grade ply on the market

Reply to Chipboard floor prep in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock