Discuss Change of career needed in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi there,

Pleasure to meet you all.

I’m after some help/advice please. After working in the corporate world for 17yrs, I’ve decided it’s time for a change. I’ve been doing some labouring work here and there and after doing some research and speaking to a few people, tiling seems to be in high demand at the moment and something that may fit well with me. I did a little a few years ago and enjoyed it, so wanted to perhaps persue this.

I’m looking at the course with UK Pro Tiling, the reviews speak volumes with nearly 500 and all 5*, with very in depth reviews. I’m 39, so don’t really have the time to spend years learning a new skill e.g. plumbing, plus it’s pretty hard to even get the proper training you need.

Suppose I’m just looking for some help, advice and guidance really. I know it pays well, but appreciate you have to work for it. Not sure on earning potential in the Manchester area either?

Thanks,
Josh.

Diesel

-
Reaction score
Good luck in your new career I’ve been tiling 20 years and had my own company for 8 years tiling has changed dramatically over the past 20 years when you say you don’t have time to spend years learning a trade tiling isn’t as easy as you might think!
Anyone who says it’s easy knows nothing about tiling it takes patience skill and a well trained eye to do the job correctly. And as for the corse you are talking about you will learn basic skills. Tiling can be very rewarding both financially and job satisfaction but your gonna need to expect some long hard days early starts late finishes and obviously lots of weekends written off. It isn’t a job for the faint hearted before my tiling career I was a serving soldier with many tours under my belt in some arduous hostile places. No joke this tiling career has taken me too some dark places along the way. Stress is part and parcel of the job and I don’t think people really understand just how tough this job can be. Obviously it’s not all bad some days are great earn loads of money and have a good day doing it but it can be tough especially when you are just starting out best of luck stick with it !

Reaction score
Good luck in your new career I’ve been tiling 20 years and had my own company for 8 years tiling has changed dramatically over the past 20 years when you say you don’t have time to spend years learning a trade tiling isn’t as easy as you might think!
Anyone who says it’s easy knows nothing about tiling it takes patience skill and a well trained eye to do the job correctly. And as for the corse you are talking about you will learn basic skills. Tiling can be very rewarding both financially and job satisfaction but your gonna need to expect some long hard days early starts late finishes and obviously lots of weekends written off. It isn’t a job for the faint hearted before my tiling career I was a serving soldier with many tours under my belt in some arduous hostile places. No joke this tiling career has taken me too some dark places along the way. Stress is part and parcel of the job and I don’t think people really understand just how tough this job can be. Obviously it’s not all bad some days are great earn loads of money and have a good day doing it but it can be tough especially when you are just starting out best of luck stick with it !
Thanks for the reply mate. I’ve done plenty of research and the course I’m doing speaks volumes, granted I know it’s not easy to pick up any trade and every job brings stress and good/bad days. Having worked in the corporate world for 17-18yrs, trust me, I pretty much know all about stress.

We all have to start somewhere when changing a career and if anyone thinks it’s easy, they are clearly kidding themselves. A lot of the strengths you need for what is required in tiling I have, hence why I chose this trade. I appreciate all you have mentioned though and will take it on board.

Like any job, it will only be a success if you put the time and energy into it!

D

Diggerdog

I’m not trying to put you off or undermine you or your ability to follow your own aspirations good luck to you I’m just speaking from my own personal experience. Like I said it can be very rewarding. If I could offer any advice it’d be spend some time working for a tiling contractor before you start out on your own it might not be what you want but it’s a good stepping stone to make a transition to running your own business. Hope it goes well and good luck.

Reaction score
I’m not trying to put you off or undermine you or your ability to follow your own aspirations good luck to you I’m just speaking from my own personal experience. Like I said it can be very rewarding. If I could offer any advice it’d be spend some time working for a tiling contractor before you start out on your own it might not be what you want but it’s a good stepping stone to make a transition to running your own business. Hope it goes well and good luck.
Thanks as well mate, appreciate the honest response!

Reply to Change of career needed in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks