Discuss Chalky soft white grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

NZ_Tiler

Reason why grout would not go hard? It has all gone chalky, two bathrooms grouted on different days. Wall joints 1.5mm wide, all soft. none of its hard. Tiles are ceramic with glaze. Should be easy to take out but anyone with ideas y this would happen please reply.

J

jay

hi could be a few things very old bag of grout. chemical still in mix bucket .washed off to soon with to much water. grout left to long befor washing,thats a few ring any bells:8:

S

sWe

Could also be a combination of the above and overly absorbant tiles as well, ie the grout losing moisture before it has a chance to cure properly.

N

NZ_Tiler

If it was bad patches i would agree it could be that, it was washed off to soon or to late, but its all areas and also two different tilers done each bathroom. So i find it hard to believe they both stuffed up a simple job. Thanks will check exp dates

N

NZ_Tiler

thanks, so in the future is there something to look out for to ensure this wont happen? Presoaking joints all the time?

J

jay

comes down to experiance and looking for signes when you lay the tiles did they both use the same grout :8:

W

White Room

Mapei reccomend that if the tile has an absorbent biscuit dampen the joints before grouting

Reply to Chalky soft white grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks