Discuss Ceramic tiling onto cracked concrete hearth in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi -

I'm trying to lay a flush tiled hearth for a new fireplace. It's likely to be decorative rather than used for fires, but so far it has been built to regulations for solid fuel use.

To get it flush with the new floor, the hearth has been raised with a sand and cement slab over a concrete slab. This top mortar layer has cracked badly with a lot of shrinkage cracks (see photos), although it was laid with an SBR Bond slurry underneath so it's pretty solidly stuck down and there isn't any vertical movement or hollowness. It was laid 4 weeks ago, and I am planning to wait the full 6 weeks before laying any tiles.

Is it likely to be ok to just tile with a flexible adhesive? Or is the cracking too bad, that I should either take the slab up (I think the SBR is going to make this very difficult IMO), or forgo it ever being used as a fireplace (not overly fussed by this) and use a thin decoupling membrane to be on the safe side with all these cracks?

I've also considered adding a layer of HardieBacker board, but the minimum thickness is 6mm which will now push the tiles above the floor level and also it's still not meant to be used under a fire.

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I've tried taking it up and it's completely solid ... it's not going to come up easy.

Would it work to have a thin layer of SLC over the top, say 1-2mm, and then tile on that?
if its cracked like that it should , how deep is it ?
[automerge]1592044612[/automerge]
I've tried taking it up and it's completely solid ... it's not going to come up easy.

Would it work to have a thin layer of SLC over the top, say 1-2mm, and then tile on that?
sorry just seen pic of depth, use a crack mat and tile on top.

Reaction score
if its cracked like that it should , how deep is it ?

It's the SBR bond slurry has stuck it down very solidly. I've tried chiselling under the joining edge (at floor level) and into the cracks but it doesn't shift. I can't see it coming up without taking an SDS to it.

This is actually the second time this slab has been laid, as the first time it cracked - without SBR - and came up almost by hand. Which is why we tried again with an SBR slurry, but the mortar cracked again, but it's now stuck pretty damn hard to the concrete underneath.

The mortar layer is only about 20mm thick, just to the level of the old floorboards that the ply is sitting on. The SBR slurry was generous!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's the SBR bond slurry has stuck it down very solidly. I've tried chiselling under the joining edge (at floor level) and into the cracks but it doesn't shift. I can't see it coming up without taking an SDS to it.

This is actually the second time this slab has been laid, as the first time it cracked - without SBR - and came up almost by hand. Which is why we tried again with an SBR slurry, but the mortar cracked again, but it's now stuck pretty damn hard to the concrete underneath.

The mortar layer is only about 20mm thick, just to the level of the old floorboards that the ply is sitting on. The SBR slurry was generous!

Was it laid with yellow sand or sharp sand ?

Reply to Ceramic tiling onto cracked concrete hearth in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks