Discuss Ceramic tiles - odd requirements? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a few (hopefully simple) questions, more out of curiosity than anything else.

I’m about to tile my bathroom walls with 500 x 250 ceramic tiles made by Keraben and noticed some stipulations on the packaging that seem a little strange.

100_8050.JPG

1 - Is there a good reason why they state that you must not fit these stretcher bond (not that I want to) ?

2 - They have DO NOT BOND in bold. What does this mean? The Spanish 'no trabar' seems to google translate as 'do not lock' which I guess could refer to question 1.

3 - When they say 'do not use wedges’ do they mean leveling clips/systems? If so, why shouldn’t these be used?

Ta

Last edited:
S

Spare Tool

It means they can't guarantee they'll be flat which is essential for brick/cross bond, levelling clips will try to make them flat and being ceramic they won't bend and could quite easily crack them,,,

W

WetSaw

...and don't butt them together, probably a bit "sizey" that's why they want 2.5mm gap.

Reaction score
I’ve had this recently with some porcelain tiles, they didn’t say no to a staggered bond, just that it could be no more than 1/3rd bond. The tiles were only 600x300’s

Reply to Ceramic tiles - odd requirements? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks