Discuss Cement tiles cracked right after laying and no idea why in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello! Totally new here and in need of some advice: I had cement tiles ("encaustic" tiles) installed yesterday by a professional tiler. Tiles are 20x20 cm, 1.2cm thick. They used Mapei Keraflex maxi s1 adhesive. Maybe 15 minutes after laying the last tile we heard loud crack and then another and another - tiles were getting hairline cracks and by today morning about half of the tiles are cracked and we do not know why. Tiles were leveled by hand and not rubber hammer. Has anyone ever heard anything like this and may know what caused this?

plaat2.png

plaat1.png

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello! Totally new here and in need of some advice: I had cement tiles ("encaustic" tiles) installed yesterday by a professional tiler. Tiles are 20x20 cm, 1.2cm thick. They used Mapei Keraflex maxi s1 adhesive. Maybe 15 minutes after laying the last tile we heard loud crack and then another and another - tiles were getting hairline cracks and by today morning about half of the tiles are cracked and we do not know why. Tiles were leveled by hand and not rubber hammer. Has anyone ever heard anything like this and may know what caused this?

View attachment 122849

View attachment 122850
Where they sealed prior to laying. And was in rapid set or standard.

Reaction score
Where they sealed prior to laying. And was in rapid set or standard.
They were sealed twice in the factory and I was instructed by the seller to seal them after laying but before grouting and then again after grouting. I do not know if the adhesive was rapid kind, on the bag it said that you can walk on the tiles after 24h, is this rapid?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They were sealed twice in the factory and I was instructed by the seller to seal them after laying but before grouting and then again after grouting. I do not know if the adhesive was rapid kind, on the bag it said that you can walk on the tiles after 24h, is this rapid?
No that’s slow set. So wasn’t adhesive drying too fast. I’ve laid quite a few encaustics and never had them crack like that.

Reaction score
We inspected now the tiles that were not yet laid and were still in their original box and quite a few of them were already cracked (very fine cracks, almost not noticeable). Could it be manufacturing process fault maybe? All the cracks are very similar - start from the middle of the edge and almost straight to the middle of the tile, about 5-6cm long, no cracks in corners at all.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We inspected now the tiles that were not yet laid and were still in their original box and quite a few of them were already cracked (very fine cracks, almost not noticeable). Could it be manufacturing process fault maybe? All the cracks are very similar - start from the middle of the edge and almost straight to the middle of the tile, about 5-6cm long, no cracks in corners at all.
It’s from the firing process and faulty imo.

Reply to Cement tiles cracked right after laying and no idea why in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks