Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cement boards can cause certain screws to rust in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have read that the alkali in the cement board can slowly rust a screw over a period of time.

The screwfix turbo gold screw says it is zinc & yellow passivated for double corrosion resistance.

Could I please check if this screw is OK to use to fix cement boards?

Or should I be using the screwfix turbo ultra which are stainless steel screws?

Thanks for advice!

OP
S

Stef

The only screw I use for Hardi is a 25mm screwfix turbo gold.
I have tried the stainless ultra & the heads were snapping off them, not good.

OP
W

White Room

If your screws were permanently bombarded with moisture then yes stainless would probably the route to take but if there was that much moisture then tanking would be required.

Which screws you use is a personal decision, the turbo gold are the ones I use.

OP
S

Spud

I have read that the alkali in the cement board can slowly rust a screw over a period of time.

The screwfix turbo gold screw says it is zinc & yellow passivated for double corrosion resistance.

Could I please check if this screw is OK to use to fix cement boards?

Or should I be using the screwfix turbo ultra which are stainless steel screws?

Thanks for advice!
why not use the hardi screws they supply ?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've used drywall screws,doubt they would rust,as any screw unless it's a swimming pool

OP
S

Stef

I've used drywall screws,doubt they would rust,as any screw unless it's a swimming pool

I found that when screwing these into anything other than plasterboard & soft wood that the heads snapped off them.

OP
O

One Day

The only real risk from a rusty screw is in very wet areas - in which case WHY ARE YOU USING HB?!

Or with translucent marbles etc where staining could potentially pull through over time.

Zinc passivated is normally enough to not worry about.
Stainless screws are expensive and A2 is generally quite soft so heads may snap when using on tough material like HB. A4 (marine grade) is far stronger but VERY expensive.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Aye stef,some do,but ive always loads about, so just use em, if i knock em in a few mill

Diamond Pool Finishers

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did someone mention swimming pool ! just for information purposes the screws mostly used in swimming pools are a very high -grade Stainless Steel....where i have seen any other screws they have always gone rusty......

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hate them, used them once and the heads always stand proud for me

OP
B

BillyD

I secured my half inch plywood to the subfloor with yellow coated, zinc, plated, construction screws. I was gonna go over the plywood with cement board to tile in the kitchen area and was wondering if the thin set that I apply under the cement board to bond the cement board to the plywood would cause any corrosion to the zinc, plated, yellow construction screw that I secured the plywood to the s?

Reply to Cement boards can cause certain screws to rust in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock