Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Can you tell me if this tiling looks okay? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

amsy21

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
The tiler has finished the grouting and didn't say that there were any problems with the tiles.

I can feel that some tiles are not smooth on the wall and you cannot see grout around every tile. When I asked him he said some of the tiles are bowed. But he didn't tell me that and there are plenty left over for him to swap - or he could have put the bowed tiles where the bath would cover it.

Tell me what you think please?

0aa0fd82-c5b9-48dd-8cf3-c7985b0fbe88-1.jpg

2e533679-66c6-4913-b851-ed6f7ed5fb3d.jpg

4fad0b65-e683-40a2-a771-69c4f93b16d7.jpg

6c3be84a-16f0-4062-aa7e-26ea1c43a65f-1.jpg

516a238a-0e3c-4a50-985e-3f637666d3a9.jpg

7022d86c-2f60-41bd-8da4-4a37945bd424.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,

sorry to say this, but my personal opinion is that you should call back the tradesman. Some of those tiles it doesnt even look like they are grouted at all. it can be the case that some tiles can be heavily bowed and some lippage is acceptable. where are the tiles from as this looks quite extreme, and what preparation work was done to lay the tiles on please?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have a look at a couple spare tikes and put them face to face and see if the tiles rock. Look along the tiles edge and see if they are warped. No tiler would cross bond warped tiles if severe lippage would occur. Stack pattern only. đź‘Ť

Reaction score
I am not a tile expert, but the tile should be all aligned and flat with the edges level with each other and all vertically plumb. (Lippage?) Your tile guy needs to go back to school. It is not hard to take a two by four wrapped in carpet and a mallet and to hold it over the tile when installing and make the larger tiles line up. Unless that is some kind of new thing... (only saying because I don't know... stupid fads come and go... ) I would rip it all out and start over. Unless you really like it like that??? There are also tabs that can be used to pull the tiles to the same plane.

The only other thing I can think of: If the wall was in really bad condition and instead of leveling and patching the wall before tile, they tried to skip a step and vary the thickness of the thinset used to place the tiles instead. (filling in voids, holes, uneven areas. Thinset shrinks a bit when it dries. if some of the thinset holding the tile was say 1/4" and some 1/2" or more... it could pull the tile back into the wall more where more thinset was used... But still... those tiles are so way off.

This install I have learned it is better to prep the wall before installing the tile for this very reason... and not to take a shortcut and try to fill holes or uneven walls when installing the tile.

I am no pro, if wrong, someone can put me in my place... if right... they can validate.

Get a new tile guy if you are paying him.

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
Poor decision by the tiler to carry on the install, it usually warns you on the box not to lay them brick bond or what you can do is use a levelling system which will prevent lippage. Certain lighting can make these situations look a lot worse also but blame is on the tiler here and you are well within your rights to be very unhappy with the quality of work.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Poor decision by the tiler to carry on the install, it usually warns you on the box not to lay them brick bond or what you can do is use a levelling system which will prevent lippage. Certain lighting can make these situations look a lot worse also but blame is on the tiler here and you are well within your rights to be very unhappy with the quality of work.
(

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Terrible job two things to point out here,the company that you bought the tiles from should have advised you about the tiles and secondly the tiler if that is what he was should have refused to fix them brick bond if the tiles were bowed

Reply to Can you tell me if this tiling looks okay? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock