Discuss Can you tell me if this is a bad job? (with photos) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello, can you please help me decide if this is a bad job. We have two balconies and I'm not massively happy with the workmanship on either one:

Problem 1 close to the sliding doors:

We have sliding balcony doors and the waterproofing for the balcony goes right up to the door and there is an edge to it to allow any water captured in the doors slide to drain out. The tiler said they couldn't put a slanted tile there as it would stop the water draining (fair enough) so he just used grout. The finish on the grout I do not think is very good, see photo below. What would you have done in the first place and how would you fix it?

20191004_070718.jpg

20191004_070718.jpg

20191003_072105.jpg

Problem 2 cutting of tiles around the balustrades

We also have a number of balustrades that needed to be cut around. Downstairs, on the whole, the cutting is pretty good, the little metal lid you can see in the pic lifts up and rests on the tiles. As you can see in the pictures, on a small number of them, to me it seems the cutting hasn't been very good and you can see a black sort of hole. My question to the group is do you think this is acceptable? How would you go about fixing it?

20191004_084433.jpg

20191004_084436.jpg

Your opinions would be gratefully received!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the cut tiles going to the door cill needed cutting up to the transition really.

And the grout around the furniture needed to be silicone. And a 5 or so mm gap around it, with silicone sealing the tile to the fixture. Similar with the door strip really.

Why cut the tiles anyway, but cut them short of the door?! I'm baffled.

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

If the finished job is that bad what’s underneath the tiles?
No attempt has been made on basic finishing so a view from distance must be of concern.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm struggling to understand the I can't put a tile in there but what I can do is slop lots of grout in there instead 🤔

O

Old Mod

Are the balcony’s cantilever or fully supported?
If they’re cantilevered, then the tile that returns in to the door threshold would more than likely crack in the corner from movement. A piece would have to be put in and the main body stay in line with the brickwork.
That space would easily accept a tile piece, it’s large enough.
Don’t quite understand the drainage problem you would have according to the tiler.
The grout only finish is poor at best.
It certainly isn’t up to standard if indeed it was the only way to finish, which I don’t personally believe is true.
There would be some kind of profile that could be used, the door suppliers may well have a solution, a weatherboard of some description possibly.
The finishing around the balustrade isn’t the best either.
May well of been helped by a different layout, it’s hard to tell from the information available, the cutting in looks lazy too.
That said, without being on site first hand, it’s sometimes difficult to asses cases like this.
There is however, room for improvement.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you’re tiler couldn’t tile up to the door threshold, due to blocking drainage holes, does that mean there is a backfall in the grouting from tile to threshold, if so, you may get water pooling against the threshold, not ideal.

O

Old Mod

If you’re tiler couldn’t tile up to the door threshold, due to blocking drainage holes, does that mean there is a backfall in the grouting from tile to threshold, if so, you may get water pooling against the threshold, not ideal.
It sounds like the main floor is too high if that’s the case.

Reply to Can you tell me if this is a bad job? (with photos) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks