Discuss Can you Silicone on top of grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sefirah

Showing different thicknesses of grout around the shower tray:

IMG_9844.JPG IMG_9848.JPG IMG_9844.JPG IMG_9848.JPG

O

Old Mod

I know this is not exactly the answer you were looking for, but you might consider getting a professional mastic man in to complete the task. Get your guy to remove all the grout from the transitions explained above, then get someone in that only does silicone work for a living.
They are clean, fast, and above all very very neat. It will also lift the finish of your project.
Silicone work can make or break a job, it'll either look excellent, or very very bad.
It's something I always push for with my clients, because they always so much better than me.
And it's worth every penny, in my opinion anyway.

S

Sefirah

Thank you, I didn't know they existed!
And if trust them more to know what needs to be siliconed.
Would they take out grout if not all had been removed do you know?

O

Old Mod

Thank you, I didn't know they existed!
And if trust them more to know what needs to be siliconed.
Would they take out grout if not all had been removed do you know?
It wouldn't be something they do as a rule, reason being, to keep costs to clients down they're in and out in a very short time. They have to lump jobs together in a day, to make it worth their while visiting. So there would be at least an extra cost. If you're happy with that, then they may.
But don't hold your breath. :)

B

Blunt Tool

I know this is not exactly the answer you were looking for, but you might consider getting a professional mastic man in to complete the task. Get your guy to remove all the grout from the transitions explained above, then get someone in that only does silicone work for a living.
They are clean, fast, and above all very very neat. It will also lift the finish of your project.
Silicone work can make or break a job, it'll either look excellent, or very very bad.
It's something I always push for with my clients, because they always so much better than me.
And it's worth every penny, in my opinion anyway.
They must wear their underpants on top of their trousers!

R

Rookery

At the end of the day it's up to you and you can leave it as it is and hope for the best. If the shower tray is grouted in, which it is, sooner or later stepping on and off it will crack the grout and eventually water will penetrate the background behind the tiles and ruin it. I bet he didn't tank it either?

T

The Brown bomber

Silicone the corners over the grout. There will be no problems. Previous poster making a mountain out of a molehill. If the grout cracks the silicone won't.

Reply to Can you Silicone on top of grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks