Discuss Can you Silicone on top of grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Sefirah

please help I'm having a new bathroom installed and the tiler has finished his part and grouted everything.
The fitter said he will grout over the silicone.
Just wanted to check this is ok?

I have a shower tray and a bath.
The bath panel is tiled, and where the bath panel reaches the lip of the bath is grouted and he said that doesn't need silicone- it's a 5mm gap.
Though I've heard that due to movement it will crack so should be siliconed. But if so can I ask him to silicone over the grout?

And around the shower tray - inside and out, this is all grouted and he's going to silicone on top of it. Is that ok?
Thank you and confused...

S

Sefirah

Oh no I feared as much.
It's so difficult as how am I going to tell him I know better than him when he says it is fine to silicone over the grout?
He's not going to be happy .. and I'm not convinced he would not scratch anything either, as he already has :-(

S

Sefirah

Is there a maximum gap you can silicone?
I'm just wondering if the reason the tiler grouted everything is he left too large a gap?
Otherwise why would he have grouted everything? He rest of his work was excellent...

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The wider the silicone the more visually obtrusive it becomes, 5 or 6mm is about right.

S

Sefirah

I know it's 5mm under the bath rim but I don't know about around the shower.
So I have to ask him to remove all the grout from around inside and outside the shower tray?
Can he partially remove it or does it have to be completely empty?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Aye, gap should be depth of tile, remove from the junction between tray and wall, also internal corners of shower area.
(Change of wall direction)

S

Sefirah

I'm sorry I'm totally new to this and don't understand the jargon you've used, please spell it out for me!

Am I going to need to ask him to remove all the grout entirely everywhere or just in some places?

So for example, under the rim of the bath, can he take a bit of grout away and silicone then?

What about the outside of the shower tray where it meets the tile floor?

I have to understand it exactly so I can tell him what to do as he's so different to what he wants to do.

I just can't see how he can remove all the grout without scratching anything!

R

Rookery

The junctions between different surfaces are called movement joints. EG between the shower tray and the wall, at the vertical corners in the shower, where the bath butts up to the wall tiling, where floor tiling meets wall tiling etc etc.. These should not be grouted but left OPEN and siliconed over, preferably with sanitary silicone such as DOW785. This allows for movement at different rates. It is quite common for some traders to grout the area then silicone over but by doing this, they are creating a 'rigid' movement joint, which is wrong.

S

Sefirah

I see thank you.
Well all of that has been grouted, so that must be the way they do it like he said, grout it and silicone over it.

To resolve this what should I tell home to do?
Surely it's going to be too much work and risk damage by asking him to take grout of in all those areas?

Is there certain areas I should definitely insist on him removing grout prior to siliconing?

S

Sefirah

Iva attached photos showing grout all around the shower tray, bath, and where tiles meet tiles in the corner of two walls.
Am I going to have to ask him to remove all of this grout? And is it actually possible without him damaging anything?

IMG_9829.JPG IMG_9832.JPG IMG_9833.JPG IMG_9836.JPG IMG_9837.JPG IMG_9838.JPG IMG_9839.JPG

Reply to Can you Silicone on top of grout? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks