Discuss Can I Tile staight over council vinyl tiles ? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

T

tony4173

Hi guys

I am tiling a kitchen next week and just wondering if it is ok to tile straight over the vinyl tiles that are already down. They are the ones that the council uses in all properties and are glued to the floor. There are no loose ones and look pretty well stuck. I will be using flexi adhesive for the job so will this adhesive be ok to bond to vinyl tiles or should i take them all up which is pretty hard going if they are stuck well.

Advice please ?

Thanks

G

Gazzer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You will find that they will come up easy enough with a flat blade. If they are stuck firm then either hard graft or hire a machine but get them up.

P

prceramics

don't forget the iron and silver foil :)

T

tony4173

Get them up I will then ! I thought the flexi adhesive would of stuck to them but never mind I will take the experts advice and get them up.

Thanks guys

P.S Iron and silver foil ?

P

prceramics

it was a thing in the paper the other week where a handy man tipped that they come up easy if you ironed them through the silver foil lol if this works please let us know :)

T

tony4173

Think i will use the old elbow grease method prceramics, but thanks for the tip sir.

O

Olz

A heat gun can be effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tony4173

I have a heat gun, nice tip ! I think I will try that. Thank you Oli.

S

swanman

Good luck but these do come up easy

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

TF
Supporter
Reactions
i had a spell of laying these years ago ,we called them Marly-tiles, we had a hotplate to warm them up and we used to stick them down in some black -tar-like adhesive :thumbsup: so would applying some heat not help in bringing them -up :smilewinkgrin:

A

AliGage

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reactions
A heat gun can be effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beat me to it! I was going to say this. Only warm the tile a little (enough to soften the glue) a strong scrapper blade will help ease them off then.

Reply to Can I Tile staight over council vinyl tiles ? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Floor Advice - Flooring Forum 0