Discuss Can I tile onto well stuck vinyl planks? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

TileFix Direct
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Reactions
Morning all,

Can I tile onto well stuck vinyl planks?

If yes what primer and adhesive do you suggest please?

MTIA20190304_124925.jpg

TileFix Direct
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,592 20
No not something I would consider.
Looks like karndean/amtico to me, if its on a timber subfloor chances are it has been overboarded with thin ply so might be easier to get it all up in one go.
Lots of flooring guys only staple it down anyway.

Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No not something I would consider.
Looks like karndean/amtico to me, if its on a timber subfloor chances are it has been overboarded with thin ply so might be easier to get it all up in one go.
Lots of flooring guys only staple it down anyway.
Thanks, it's a screeded floor, I guess that you'd still suggest to strip it up?

Deleted member 5970

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,514 63 3
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
why tile over it, it will come up easily

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reactions
393 1
Take it up

Reactions
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the vinyl is firmly stuck. Prime+Grip it, Magix Adhesive. Job done.
Hey Glynn, that's controversial (considering all the previous replies), when you mention "Prime+Grip it" does that mean use something like SBR with plastering sand mixed in?
Cheers

Deleted member 5970

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,514 63 3
Glynn can be controversial :eek:

W

WetSaw

Hey Glynn, that's controversial (considering all the previous replies), when you mention "Prime+Grip it" does that mean use something like SBR with plastering sand mixed in?
Cheers
Prime + grip is a grippy primer! If Glynn is happy to guarantee his products for your situation then that's the way to go.

W

Waluigi

Personally I would remove the Vinyl. I tend to use a blowtorch to soften the pressure sensitive adhesive and a decent scraper. Or a heat gun.

Glynn

TF
Reactions
200 1
It's not a case of being controversial it's having complete faith in the products that Tilemaster produce and good work practices. I was on the tools once and had to over-come issues that are not covered in the "Standards" but still had to give the customer a guarrantee. Now part of my job role is to test products till they break (not just Tilemasters either) so I can then help you tilers on the tools with real world information that I hope will make your work a bit easier but still give you confidence in the products, work practices and materials you are using. BS5385 gives you very basic standards to work with but for me it does not address the real world a tiler has to work in threrfore if the information from myself seems controvestial be assured it is not coming from "Glynn's world of tiling", it has been tested, discussed and debated within Tilemaster and the whole technical department are of the same opinions and will stand by the information we put out. There have been several times you forum members have contacted us direct for help in resolving a problem you have on site because the "Standards" don't cover your problem for you. Have any of you had an issue with the advice we gave you? I doubt it, otherwise it would have been posted here. If I say it, then it is on behalf of Tilemaster Adhesives.

Deleted member 5970

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,514 63 3
Glynn, yes you products are good so I've heard, not tried any myself.
my comment was tongue in cheek :rolleyes:
my issue would be with how well the flooring which is to be covered with tiles is fixed not if there is a product which can stick to it.
not taking it up quite frankly, is just lazy and bad practice

Glynn

TF
Reactions
200 1
Morning Julian. I don't agree with "lazy". if there is a substrate that meets BS5385 with flat, strong, "firmley bonded" which is what I originally said, and strong enough to support the weight of the tiling installaion, why not use it? Most of these vinyls are stuck down so well it take a lot of work to remove them. Would you remove a tiled floor if it was firmley bonded if you didn't need to? probably not. Why make work for yourself if there are products out there that will make your days work easier but still give you the guarantees you need for your customers use them. It is totally the tilers choice, they are the ones on site and have to decide "do I remove it or can I use it". You have heard how good Tilemaster products are, I hope one day you will give us a try, and our technical support as well.

Glynn

TF
Reactions
200 1
You can teach an old dog new tricks.
Glynn we have been at this to long.

W

Waluigi

I’d still remove in this instance, mainly because I have no idea how the floor was latexed. I remove a fair amount of LVT floors and it’s not uncommon for the SLC to come up with the tiles.

I completely get that the adhesive is able to be bonded to the Vinyl though and I have a special place in my heart for Tilemaster :D

Happy Thursday everyone.

71A0764A-7EEB-4A8C-9AE5-D9372981A986.jpeg

W

Waluigi

Besides, we’ll find out later today that the floor in question is LVT click :D

Reply to Can I tile onto well stuck vinyl planks? in the Floor Advice - Flooring Forum area at TilersForums.com

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.