Discuss Can I tile onto this type of plywood? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chloe

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

My friend's Dad built some boxing around the toilet in my bathroom using some plywood salvaged from a building site. I think it was previously used for boarding up windows (shuttering ply?). See pics attached.

Can I tile onto this if properly primed or am I better off redoing the box in a different material?

Is there a good way to tell what type of plywood it is?

Thanks in advance.

20190326_094724.jpg 20190326_094739.jpg 20190326_094806.jpg

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
It is now against British Standards to tile on ply in bathrooms. The simple reason is that ply swells and shrinks due to humidity (which fluctuates a lot in bathrooms) but tiles do not. The end result is the tiles are likely to fall off. Your best solution would be to overlay with a tile backer board. However, this will increase the thickness of the tiles and may mean you have to re-fit your toilet to take this into account. I do not recommend applying a waterproof coat to the ply as this will encourage it to swell, and it will continue to swell and shrink as the back of the ply will still be exposed to the vagaries of the bathroom humidity. I have attached links to our Orbry backer board.
Orbry Board - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Orbry-Insulated-Backer-Board

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above you can’t tile onto ply. Either over board with a thin backer board or repack ply with a thicker one. Tilefix will sort you.

W

Waluigi

Text book answers and I would never construct a tiled boxing in this way however I would take a close look at the veneer you have on your ply. See how thick it is. Also take any offcuts you might have and leave them outside in the rain, to see if it starts to delaminate.

Modern ply woods often have a very thin veneer, poor glue used between each layer of ply and generally cheap softwoods are often used. That said, some ply woods are very well made and still industry standard in a lot of flooring installations.

Reply to Can I tile onto this type of plywood? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks