Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Can I tile on Lino.? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi got a job coming up on a new build and customer wants me to tile the whole downstairs floor. So it’s a concrete floor.no underfloor heating.but has brand new Lino stuck down!

Need advice

1. Do I rip it all up and start fresh?
2 can I tile on top of it?

Thanks tilers

U

Unused Account 1

Lift the lino ,if your doing the whole floor youll need a experienced tiler,as the costif you mess up will be ££££

J

J Sid

Some new build companies won't let you tile ground floor till x years after build, loss of warranty. Check

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Didn’t know that :handpointup:

Which companies do you know of?

J

J Sid

My brother bought one in Stowmarket, can't remember which builder, one of the big ones, think bovis himes. He wanted me to rip soft flooring up and tile. On reading his warranty you couldn't do this for something like 5 years. I guess this is because when they start falling apart they can repair easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Lift the lino ,if your doing the whole floor youll need a experienced tiler,as the costif you mess up will be ££££
While I understand you're trying to help with this kind of response, it's not really helping the forum out. This type of member has probably already decided they're doing it, hence them ending up here.

If we replied to each job like this (and we could, we know it's going to be cheaper in the long run if they do get a tiler in) we'd end up putting a lot of members off the forum.

The best we can do, is explain why it's hard to do, and persuade them just with pure facts than say 'get a tiler in'.

This is a massive problem we've got on plumbers forums. Because they have gotten so used to replying with "this is gas, get an engineer in you're not allowed to touch it" type posts - they have started to say that even to a guy who just needs to turn his pump up one notch to push water into his radiators, for example.

So I'm pushing back against this response with actual helpful advice for forum members. So we can sway the type of posts back to helping out the Original Poster (OP) with their job. Rather than sending them back to Google, and risk them ending up on Check-a-Builder type websites, where avid DIYers are posing as tilers doing jobs wrong, and causing either a genuine tiler to cut his prices to get work, or the homeowner to pay more to find a tiler, and then funding TV ads and shareholders in the middle out of that money.

So my method is supporting the industry, and the tilers. It's just not the same method as yours, which I'm sure also has that same reasoning behind it.

:)

Reply to Can I tile on Lino.? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock