Discuss Can I start tiling from the middle of a shower wall? in the US Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Jordon

-
Reaction score
I'm tiling my shower. I've got a pony wall and would like a grout line to line up with the top of that pony wall. Can I start a row of tile at the top of my pony wall and work my way down to the floor?

Can I start tiling from the middle of a shower wall? | TilersForums.com Filename: {userid}

Jimbob12

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Yes, have you checked the cuts won't be little slivers at the top and bottom of the wall? Measure a tile height, then measure down from that wall the same height of the the tile, set your laser on that and check that the top of the top of the tile aligns perfectly with the top of your wall, baton then tile up. Once it's dry remove the baton and fill in the screw holes with sealant then work your way down. If the tiles are heavy I would use the baton method again.

OP
Jordon

Jordon

-
Reaction score
Yes, have you checked the cuts won't be little slivers at the top and bottom of the wall? Measure a tile height, then measure down from that wall the same height of the the tile, set your laser on that and check that the top of the top of the tile aligns perfectly with the top of your wall, baton then tile up. Once it's dry remove the baton and fill in the screw holes with sealant then work your way down. If the tiles are heavy I would use the baton method again.
Thanks, Jimbob! That's the method I was leaning towards, just wanted confirmation. I'm using 6x18 tiles, and I'll have 4"+ tiles at the top and bottom.

Reply to Can I start tiling from the middle of a shower wall? in the US Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com