Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Buying a manual tile cutter, Sigma or Montolit? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

L

LM

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Those are HUGE :D They sure look like quality. Got the same sense in the store.

Yeah, that would be an option but I would like to start tile on monday.

Btw, is the only difference on the 3C2 and 3C3M the handle? Would you be able to change the handle later on and convert it? Might be somewhat wasteful though. I imagen the handles not being that cheap.
Yes on these models the bar is 10mm thick and all 10mm handles are interchangeable. That is what I do with my machines, some of them I have 3 handles so I can change depending on the task.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! I am new here but I have been reading a lot about manual tile cutters on the forum. I am looking to get a quality tile cutter that will last a long time. I already have a wet saw and are looking for a manual tile cutter that can handle 400mm/16" tiles. My budget is around 350$.

I am far from a professional user but I enjoy working with good tools that I can grow and learn with. I like the "Buy Once, Cry Once" motto instead of buying something cheap you will end up being frustrated at every time you use it.

From what I can gather the two brands that seems to be coming up a lot is Sigma and Montolit. So I have looked at a few of those models. It seems that you "cant go wrong" with either but I still like to have your opinion before I decide.

I have a nearby store that sells the SIGMA 3C2 and the MONTOLIT MP 63P3 for the same price (320€ or 350$ or 290£) and I have been looking at those.

View attachment 110004 View attachment 110003

I went to the store last light but I only had 5 minutes to check them out before I had to go so I only got a quick look at the two versions. And the store is the kind of store that do not let you try them out...

My quick impressions were that both tools seemed to be quality tools with a little bit of a different design "flavor".
I got the impression that the Montolit had more features and special mechanisms that looked really good but maybe a bit over-engineered (simple is good). And that the Sigma had a bit fewer mechanisms/functions but seemed like more of a "no nonsense machine" that just do the things that you "actually need" really good.

After the few minutes I had to check them out I felt that Montolit was a bit better than the sigma. But since I could not try them out in the store I ended up doing some research here on the forum. And how the tool look like is not nearly as important as to how they feel and perform in real life scenarios. Therefore I am here, asking you guys that have first hand experience with the tools what you would buy if you would chose of these two. Or if you would chose a completely different make or model.

I saw some video of the MAX series also () With push and same type of "swing up tile splitter" with plastic on as the Montolit P3? The one I checked out at the store was the TRACTION pull variant and they did not seem to have the MAX-series.

I also saw this post about the Montolit having an issue with diagonal cutting but I did not quite understand this or if it has been fixed in a revision? If anyone could explain that would be very helpful. Montolit - Sigma vs Montolit - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/sigma-vs-montolit.81271/post-834077

Which one would you get of the two? Or would you get another model or maybe another brand?

Thanks!
Awesome brownie points from me for this thread mate. It had a picture in it, a link, a poll and a video.

Been trying to get these bar-stewards do all them for years lol

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Btw, is the only difference on the 3C2 and 3C3M the handle? Would you be able to change the handle later on and convert it? Might be somewhat wasteful though. I imagen the handles not being that cheap.

Sorry i meant to answer that also outwith cost of handle previously. same but with the max handle reduces it to a 725mm cutter

I

Italy

with 3b4 to pull sigma, I do 90% of my work.
the only problem with montolit with the metric bar is this:
measure the cuts at 45 °, for example 20 cm from the tile tip
at the wall. with other brands just read the back metric bar
and cut. with montolit, fix the red bar first
place the tile and trim.
the rear metric bar does not correspond to the cm of the meter.
@Adey1980 can't you explain it?

G

GoneGuy

place the tile and trim.
I will have a look when I get home Monday

OP
B
Reaction score
Going to the store today to get some more time with the different models! I also found an older model of the 63P3 about an hour or so drive from where I live. He is asking for about 150 euros for that one. And it also includes a new scale and handle. Might be worth checking out? Dont know whats different on the older model?

Anteckning 2019-09-28 114148.png

By the look of it the new scale/rotate thingy is from the newer model but the actual base is the old version with a metal handle. It also looks to be pull instead of push?

Dont know about the new scale and handle, looks to also be push or is it pull? Quite hard to see.

Also got offered the 37cm sigma for about 50 euros.

OP
B
Reaction score
He may of put the handle on back to front

Might be. But that sure looks like the new version of the bar and handle right? There was a blue handle in between the metal one if I am not mistaken from my google searches.

Is there any other major improvements on the base itself?

Also, do you think 150 euro is a fair price or would it be better to go for a new one instead?

D

Dumbo

I'm no monti expert so I don't know about any of that . As for price depends on price in your country new , but I would think if differential in price is much I would think 150 is ok . Give it a good clean and you will feel better with the price and if it's for a single job you are doing sell it and get all your money back , in U.K. Good used cutters are far and few apart .

G

GoneGuy

Handle is on back to front and will have the old splitting system on it as well
[automerge]1569676720[/automerge]
On the models the bases are pretty much the same ( same springs in plates etc) the new models have red handles with a flip down splitter ( blue block ) and adjustments for pressure and sliding resistance

OP
B
Reaction score
Awesome brownie points from me for this thread mate. It had a picture in it, a link, a poll and a video.

Been trying to get these bar-stewards do all them for years lol
Haha :D I like when threads have pictures and stuff so I usually add them. Also helps people that come looking for information later on!

place the tile and trim.
I will have a look when I get home Monday
So if I understand correctly its the measurement you take on the back of the scale when you do 45deg cuts that does not correspond to the numbers shown?

OP
B
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help in deciding. Thought I would post what I ended up getting for future thread/readers etc.

In the end I went to the store to get a new one and after some deciding back and fourth I went with the Sigma 3C2. Both the Sigma and Montolit seemed about as good as the other.

One of the things that decided was the availability of spare parts. Here in sweden at least, it seems much easier to get Sigma parts and it is far more common.

The last straw was that all the scoring wheels was stolen on the 2 montolit tile cutters they had left in the store. Due to the quick release function of the wheel some must have taken the opportunity to quickly and tool-less remove them and put them in their pocket... So then I would have had to buy a spare wheel online from another store. So that made the choice easy.

20190930_103229.jpg

I

Italy

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help in deciding. Thought I would post what I ended up getting for future thread/readers etc.

In the end I went to the store to get a new one and after some deciding back and fourth I went with the Sigma 3C2. Both the Sigma and Montolit seemed about as good as the other.

One of the things that decided was the availability of spare parts. Here in sweden at least, it seems much easier to get Sigma parts and it is far more common.

The last straw was that all the scoring wheels was stolen on the 2 montolit tile cutters they had left in the store. Due to the quick release function of the wheel some must have taken the opportunity to quickly and tool-less remove them and put them in their pocket... So then I would have had to buy a spare wheel online from another store. So that made the choice easy.

View attachment 110128
good buy.
am I speaking ill of montolit?
[automerge]1570103798[/automerge]
good buy.
am I speaking ill of montolit?
last week I could not recommend sigma, today yes
Sorry

Reply to Buying a manual tile cutter, Sigma or Montolit? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock