Discuss Building shower pan and waterproofing in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

gbsk12

-
Reaction score
Here is the situation. I live in Alaska. I am building a shower pan so I can tile a new shower. I just put in the pan liner after I put a sloped mixed concrete I guess you would call it underlayment. I have watched quite a few videos. Anyway I watched one and the guy said to take out the drain screws so you can lit smaller splints in the liner. The opposite happened to me. Pi had a very hard time finding the holes and ended up counting one hole way bigger because it felt like it was a hole but the hole was a half I inch away. I put extra caulk underneath the liner where the hole was and put extra on top too so it was squished when it was tightened.

I have a question about waterproofing the mortar bed after I pop it it in and let it dry. I see that people use a fabric for the seams. Would it work okay to put the waterproofing on the seams and then put maybe four to six inch strips of sheer nylon fabric like a drywall tape and then put more waterproofing on top? I bought some Māori Aqua Defense

I mostly watched videos from Tile Coach Starr Tile and another guy Sgt. ? On making a shower pan. I enclosed a picture of where I am now and it took me a long time to get to this place. Over a year ago we were out of town and the heat went off. Luckily a friend who checked on the house checked it and caught the basement flooding before too many pipes burst. The shower was one so I figured I would improve and update it.

I am very well aware of weep holes. The guy who was on that video was pretty good but suggested taking the bolt all of the way out to make a smaller hole. The trouble for me at least is that the holes are very hard to find underneath the membrane. It would have been much easier and better to make a cross at the head of the bolt as they are easier to find. I made a cross about an inch away from a bolt hole I used bathroom caulk to repair that hole. I did not caulk the whole flange for the drain.

Pictures of the work so far and the product I was going to use.

Do you tile right over the curb or do you need some sort of primer so the mortar will stick to the pan liner? I I
I was going to post pictures but it said the file was too. Big and did not give me options for sending smaller files.
Thanks

Reply to Building shower pan and waterproofing in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks