Discuss Building A Raised Deck / Balcony - Advice Please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

completehandy

We have a bungalow built on a sloping site so the floor at the back is around 1.5 metres above the outside ground level.

We want to build a balcony / raised deck and to keep costs to a minimum I am planning to build two brick piers around 2 metres from the back wall and around 4.5 metres apart. Between these I will run a timber beam and then run floor joists back from this beam to a wall plate.

Although it would probably be the cheapest option I really don’t want to use timber decking and would ideally like a tiled surface for minimum maintenance and to create a dry area below which could be used for storage.

On a new build down the road they used two layers of shuttering ply and then tiled directly onto this.

I did briefly speak to the guy who was tiling this and he said he was simply going direct onto the ply using a “Special” adhesive. This sounds like a recipe for disaster to me but I have to admit that after two years it does actually still look OK.

In was also thinking using shuttering ply but laying something like Ditra Membrane (or a cheaper equivalent if possible) between this and the tiles. I know Schulter do a range of products for balconies but they look very expensive and would probably make the project too expensive for me to go ahead.

Any suggestions / alternatives bearing in mind I have a very tight budget.

John.

C

Concrete guy

You'll need planning permission before you start anything.

Unless it's changed recently you require permission for decking that's built more than 30cm above ground level.

O

One Day

With external applications, particularly terraces and balconies you really have 2 options (1 choice):
Do it right or bodge it.
Schluter's terrace systems work by protecting the tiles - they do NOT waterproof.

Read up on it - also check out GUTJAHR | Home page

Reply to Building A Raised Deck / Balcony - Advice Please in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks