Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss building a curved internal stud wall in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

Looking for some advice....

A returning client has came to me in a bit of a dilemma and requires quite a large job to go ahead immediately.

We have knocked down internal walls and lifted floor, new room to consist of wet floor all off one slab of marble templated and cut for falls ideally in 3 large pieces each around 1.5m/sq

The room is kind of 'cone' shaped and will be new curved walls at one end with an aperture of roughly 1600mm tapering out to 1800mm and then into a point at this end will be the wall hung WC and drain will be at curved end

Firstly, the new curved walls will be floor to ceiling, so....should the stud wall be built first as normal with CLS and then sheeted on top with insulation board. Will 6mm boards bend to the arc of a 450mm radius circle? I will need more sheeting support underneath this also I take it?

Secondly because of the nature of the architecture the joist sit at 45 degrees and there is exsisting piped underfloor heating floating on plates i'll need to remove and re dwang to 300mm centres, but which thickness of substrate would you recommend minimum to avoid any cracking in such large pieces of marble? Obviously some decoupling/ditra will be needed as well.

And lastly, Originally i had thought that a preformed wet deck would have done, one with 4 falls as opposed to 2 as we have to be able to get a wheelchair in and out with the lip created by the 2 fall linear deck, BUT as of tonight we have thought about the whole floor being the wet area with no screen for ease of access with basically the gulley/drain being the width of the room and effectively 2/3 of the marble sloping one way and 1/3 the other so a preformed deck is kinda out of the question what other wonderful ways would you lovely lot go about creating the runs on the wet floor??

I hope this post makes sense!! Really up against it with time constraints on this one so not had any time to colaborate with anyone or
image.jpg
image.jpg
do my homework.

Any help would be much appreciated and ideas most welcomed thanks!!

Ive attatched drawing of existing and proposed but ignore the two seperate drains on the proposed as this will now be one long drain

image.jpg

W

White Room

For the walls could you not use the Marmox curve wall, you say short constraints but you really need more time.

O

Old Mod

Ok so I must admit I don't follow your post completely but a couple of quick ideas u may be able to build on!
Schluter do Kerdi Board V that's a tileable board that can also be plastered that is used to form curved walls.
If you're having a marble shower floor (is that suitable given its porousity?) and you're having made to order, can u not get preformed falls put in to it?

OP
T
Reaction score
I know of the wedi curved wall but havent installed it myself before and am unaware of its strength as an actuall wall (it is only 2" thick) say to fit such things as grab rails etc
I will check out marmox and Kerdi thanks but again would a stud wall need to be built first.

The clients family member doesnt have that much time left I'm afraid hence the unusaul hasty approach to a job of this calibre.

Ive fitted marble on wet floors before with no issues and as you say it will be cut to whichever sizes i wish but instead of the room comprisi of 3 large pieces and 1 of those pieces enveloped into another 4 pieces where the shower head will be we now just want 3 pieces and a drain/gulley spanning the width of room
image.jpg
So I'm wondering the best way to go about forming the runs on a suspended timber floor, either with packing up 20mm insualtion boards or an accelerator sand n cement such as Kerakoll?
I'm imagining if i put a prefromed tray in at the curved wall then the falls wont be correct if it is a square/rectangular tray and we would also like to minimise the grout lines and angles of the floor for wheelchair access

O

Old Mod

Sorry didn't explain myself properly, I meant that the supplier should be able to mill the falls in to the marble if it's thick enough, so there'd be no reason to have cut pieces. Pretty much like granite work tops have drainers milled into them.

OP
T
Reaction score
3_fall thats exaclty the kind of thinking I'm after yes!! I'll find out thickness and enquire about this although when i asked today i was told either 40mm or 20mm and i prayed it was 20 laying such large pieces haha

O

Old Mod

You're gonna want the 40 now! Haha
Well at least in the piece with the drain in, so u have enough depth.
If time is of the essence then maybe contract the marble supplier to fit too, if the falls are milled in then all u need to do is prep the sub floor and they can lift them in.
Obviously tho this could become cost prohibitive!

O

Old Mod

Hi,

The room is kind of 'cone' shaped and will be new curved walls at one end with an aperture of roughly 1600mm tapering out to 1800mm and then into a point at this end will be the wall hung WC and drain will be at curved end

Would a wall hung toilet frame fit in a curved wall, or is the arc gentle enough?

OP
T
Reaction score
Had a look on PCS and will give them a call tomo for sure a they seem to have everything I'm after in one stop.

Gerbrit will be on flat section of wall.
Thanks for the input so far guys ill be sure and take photos of progress

OP
T
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Update...

Curved wall made from 3x2 Cls and 18mm OSB

450mm radius circle on OSB, quartered and jigsawed the depth of CLS 68mm

Doubled up on top of each other to create 4 x 700mm Arcs with 5 uprights each at 175mm centres

Nightmare with the underfloor heating all having to be pulled up and relaid and cut to new size once all my new walls are up!!

Contacted PCS who were very helpful but don't supply direct, do you know who is the best dealer to buy from for prompt delivery now I have my sizes?

Reply to building a curved internal stud wall in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock