Discuss Builders Tiling job - is this acceptable? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

gee

TF
Reaction score
Cheers.
Just noticed I got the months wrong - can't believe its april already - and can't find a way to edit my post from march.

Reaction score
Good morning.

Thank you all for your advice.

I’ll give you an update with the timelines:

On monday 15/3/19 I discovered the job was potentially problematic. I arranged for a tiler to come out and check out the work on the tuesday. I then spoke with the company I have doing renovations to my entire property, which includes the bathroom, telling him of the problem and he agreed it didn’t conform to uk standards. I said to concentrate on the other work and I’d get someone in tomorrow to inspect the work and advise on its safety.

That night I returned to the property and discovered he’d ignored my instructions to stop and had all but completed the tiling and covered up the edges where the dot and dab tiling was evident.

On tuesday 16/3/19 I advised the pro tiler I'd asked for input and he said it was a nasty situation and pulled out of visiting, not wanting to get involved. I don’t blame him, I’d love to do the same but its my house.

My property is far from completion and completely uninhabitable. Plus he’s been paid in excess of the current status of renovations.

Not quite sure what to do.
I'd now ask him to guarantee his work in writing for 5 years, and only under his personal name (which it ultimately would be if he's a sole trader). If he is operating under a limited company, then don't allow a guarantee from his company name, as he could easily just close down the business in the event of a claim and not pay out. If it's under his personal name and address, that will allow you to chase a payout indefinitely through the county and high courts for little expense. If he refuses, then he probably doubts his own work. In that case, ask him to remove it all and start again. If he refuses that, then ask for a refund and take the key off him.

S

Spare Tool

I'd now ask him to guarantee his work in writing for 5 years, and only under his personal name (which it ultimately would be if he's a sole trader). If he is operating under a limited company, then don't allow a guarantee from his company name, as he could easily just close down the business in the event of a claim and not pay out. If it's under his personal name and address, that will allow you to chase a payout indefinitely through the county and high courts for little expense. If he refuses, then he probably doubts his own work. In that case, ask him to remove it all and start again. If he refuses that, then ask for a refund and take the key off him.
5 year guarantee? Optimistically think 5 months would be long enough in this case anyway :)
Strip out tiles and overboard the ply with a 10mm insulation board would be least hassle to make good, think the builder should actually take that expense on the chin..

Reaction score
The only problem with overboarding is that you will lose a lot of the shower tray profile edge, which will look bad. Best just to get rid of the timber and use a suitable board, either cement board, insulation board or plasterboard (with a tanking kit).

Reaction score
Nobody would normally ask for one, but in this case I think it would be smart for her to ask for one, as it looks like it will fail. That was why I said she should ask for one, and if he won't do it, then alarm bells should ring. I'd be happy giving a customer of mine a 5 year guarantee if they asked. No problem.
Added to the high risk boarding, I've also noticed that the adhesive he's using doesn't seem to be an S1 flexible adhesive, so it will without doubt fail when applied to plywood, if I have spotted this correctly.

Reaction score
there's enough profile left on the tray to overboard with backer board & the tile at worst 22mm to 25 tops so still 25/30 left on profile, 5 yr guarantee optimistic

Reaction score
I'd just start again, as it would be easier to do it properly, then no need to ask for a guarantee, as there would never be a call back as it would look great and last until the next refurbishment.

gee

TF
Reaction score
I did push him about guarantees and eventually he said
"I don't know if I'll even be in business next year so I can't say anything."
Doesn't inspire me with confidence.
I handed him a letter today reiterating advice from solicitor, insisting he stop work on the bathroom and giving him 14 days to propose a resolution.
I'll be having the work assessed by a pro tiler and get a report to provide the solicitor. It will mean smashing a tile, but whatever it takes to get that report.

I'll wonder if I'll also have to lift the kitchen floor he tiled?
He left a valve open 2 nights running and flooded the plywood floor he just laid in my kitchen (and flooded the property downstairs) then 24 hours later put the backer board down and tiled over it. Also if I understand correctly the cement he used is a hard variety rather than flexible so is not suitable for the heavy use floor in the kitchen?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know it’s first thing in the morning, but he never reported him did he , no he can’t have, it’s just that’s it’s 7am and I can’t read yet:confused:

Reply to Builders Tiling job - is this acceptable? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks