Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Builders Tiling job - is this acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

gee

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I'm having my bathroom renovated and would really appreciate some advice as I've heard/read conflicting information and would like to know where I stand. The job is due to finish around the of this week.

The tiles are 600x300mm and 9mm thick porcelain.

Please see the attached image, which is a screenshot of multiple images. I can upload the individual files if you need to see any larger.

Clockwise from top left image:

2755 - https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/

2543 - Ply back wall and platform for shower. When queried he said it was marine ply so would be ok.

2543 - side wall plastered, cut out for shower niche

2570 - constructed plywood niche sitting on shower tray.

2604 - Tiles being put on top of plywood on wall and on niche

2760 - dot and dab tile. He agreed it didn't conform to British standards but it was the only way to make it look straight after he plastered the walls.

2762 - 3 piles of 16mm thick https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ per tile along at least one wall

2768 - https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is aprox 60-70mm wide

2659 - tiles being laid on floor

2780 - tiles on plywood

2788 - tiles were laid on top of this wall

Thanks.

bathroom fitting.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
You need a step ladder for the shower tray.
Why is it so high?

Reaction score
tile onto ply on walls doesn’t follow british standards......all shower enclosure walls should firstly be made watertight using a water resistant backer board, I use wedi board, if that’s not possible then it should be tanked.......wedi board or Hardi backer board glued & screwed to the floor before fixing tiles......as pdc says remove all and get it done by a professional......good luck

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The shower tray may have been built up to allow the soil to run around the room, I've seen it done before.

Stop him now, so at least you won't have to go out and buy new tiles.

Everything about this job has got disaster written all over it. You've got the opportunity to stop that happening - Take it!!!

O

One Day

Those blobs onto emulsion...
Give one of the tiles a bit of a tug and, well....
You'll see!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having my bathroom renovated and would really appreciate some advice as I've heard/read conflicting information and would like to know where I stand. The job is due to finish around the of this week.

The tiles are 600x300mm and 9mm thick porcelain.

Please see the attached image, which is a screenshot of multiple images. I can upload the individual files if you need to see any larger.

Clockwise from top left image:

2755 - https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/

2543 - Ply back wall and platform for shower. When queried he said it was marine ply so would be ok.

2543 - side wall plastered, cut out for shower niche

2570 - constructed plywood niche sitting on shower tray.

2604 - Tiles being put on top of plywood on wall and on niche

2760 - dot and dab tile. He agreed it didn't conform to British standards but it was the only way to make it look straight after he plastered the walls.

2762 - 3 piles of 16mm thick https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ per tile along at least one wall

2768 - https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is aprox 60-70mm wide

2659 - tiles being laid on floor

2780 - tiles on plywood

2788 - tiles were laid on top of this wall

Thanks.

View attachment 106261
In a word, NO.

tile onto plywood is a bad idea, even if the builder insists it's marine ply (it won't be, more likely WBP). In wet areas, it's a definite no-no. The walls and floors should have boarded onto stable joinery work using cement boards of a thickness of 12 mm on the walls and 6mm on the floor or an insulation type board which has a cement fibre reinforced thin face.
Ask him to leave before disaster happens.

OP
G

gee

TF
Reaction score
Good morning.

Thank you all for your advice.

I’ll give you an update with the timelines:

On monday 15/4/19 I discovered the job was potentially problematic. I arranged for a tiler to come out and check out the work on the tuesday. I then spoke with the company I have doing renovations to my entire property, which includes the bathroom, telling him of the problem and he agreed it didn’t conform to uk standards. I said to concentrate on the other work and I’d get someone in tomorrow to inspect the work and advise on its safety.

That night I returned to the property and discovered he’d ignored my instructions to stop and had all but completed the tile and covered up the edges where the dot and dab tile was evident.

On tuesday 16/4/19 I advised the pro tiler I'd asked for input and he said it was a nasty situation and pulled out of visiting, not wanting to get involved. I don’t blame him, I’d love to do the same but its my house.

My property is far from completion and completely uninhabitable. Plus he’s been paid in excess of the current status of renovations.

Not quite sure what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Yes don't give him any more cash no matter what other work he completes then get him to sort out the tile he can put backer board over the plywood, the backer boards come in various thickness so he could fit 10 mm over top that would be a better outcome than straight over the plywood

Reply to Builders Tiling job - is this acceptable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock