Discuss Breaching damproof course? Ok or no or ways round it? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
A customer wants a low profile shower in a downstairs bathroom on a concrete floor. The drainage chanell required would need penetrate the dpc on the outside wall and so presumably that of the floor inside the house too. (I assume they should be on same level?) Drainage would travel about about 1 to 2m into the house perpendicular to the outside wall. Are there acceptable ways to do breach and patch pdc, or is it best totally avoided?
Thanks

Reaction score
The concrete floor will be siting in a "bathtub" of DPM, the top of which is level with the DPC on the brickwork so you will only breech the DPM where you exit through the wall.
I wouldn't expect any problem with this, just be aware of it and try to invent some way of sealing the waste pipe to the DPM, you'll be fine

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, appreciated.
Slippery, if dpm is same level inside as outside, then it would also breach in about a 1m length inside, where the waste pipe will be travelling mostly horizontal with the 1:40 fall to the outside. Sounds like we either should raise the shower.....or what about the alternative, digging out a rectangle for the channel, then laying a dpm over and re-cementing?
Pdc, is a small breach really that bad? Im not disputing it, i have no idea, but practically would think if you recover with dpm and then waterproof overlying floor too, i cant imagine it would be problematic. So yes, trying to find out how critcial it is; if its completely untouchable or if a small hole here or there would even be ok.

Reaction score
Raccus, I think pdc was just joking as you misspelt DPC in the OP.

Only the top of the DPM is level with the DPC in the brickwork so you would be above the damp , the channel would be in dry concrete, as long as you dont go too deep and be careful not to puncture it whilst chanelling out, you are only breeching the side of the bathtub

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
ah well spotted about the typo lol. And "the dmp is only the top of the dpc"? I thought the dpc was just a layer of membrane, not that it has any depth to it. And if the top of the pipe exits just under dpm, then the pipe being 40mm diamter with a fall of 1:40, will mean the 1m channel inside would also have to breach the dpm the whole way along the pipe's length. So it would be very much puntured presumably. Am i misunderstanding your reply, or not explaining well?

Reaction score
6b03aea9057be99c168be48c1c4cf8d9.jpg

Here you can see what's going on.
As long as you don't cut right through the concrete, your pipe will exit the wall between DPC and ground level.
Depending on the age of the house you will have around 100mm (before 2010 or so) to 150 mm
A small hole in the side won't matter
I don't know how deep your trap is but the fall @1:40 only needs to be around 3mm over the meter so you should be fine.

Raccus

TF
Reaction score
one more thing, the floor is different levels, im hoping to have thicker insulation where it can fit and non where the floor is much higher. Are any problems forseen if i put down the insulation backer boards first, then use levelling compound over the top? Was planing to use prowarm boards and bal level max.

Reply to Breaching damproof course? Ok or no or ways round it? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks