Discuss Boxing In - End of Bath in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

KylieZona

Hi Forum Members,

I have one more newbie question before finishing off my first ever tiling job. This time about boxing in. Our bath does not meet the wall at the non-business end (it's about 15cm between the wall and the bath). What we're thinking of doing is:

• Building a wooden frame (the first horizontal piece is in place against the wall. The rest of the build I've tried to draw on to the photograph below - no laughing at my poor perspective drawing)
  • Laying Cementboard over the top, screwing in, then silicone sealing.
  • Tiling over the top with cement-based adhesive, grouting, sealing the grout, silicone sealing. (We want to angle the tile slightly down towards the bath so any moisture is encouraged off the tile).
We like the idea of boxing in because we have in mind screwing some stainless steel wire shelves in to the wall for soap/shampoo/conditioner etc. (sitting over the top of the boxing in).

So I have a few questions
  1. Does that seem like the right approach in general? (Have I missed anything)?
  2. How do I finish off the tiles that will be overlapping the bath slightly? Edging strip? Do I need anything in between to protect the bath?
WithShower1.jpg BoxingIn.jpg BoxingIn2.jpg

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated!

I

Ian

All sounds good to me. Use the same trim you have used around your window to finish off the tiles on the bath edge.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi kylie,its personal choice but if boxing in small ends on baths like you have highlighted i like to box the shelf higher than the bath by maybe 100 to 150mm...this will give you a higher shelf which water will not sit on if your messy in the bath

a chance also to get a good silicone seal to the edge of the boxong in as well as oppose to something that is the same height i will try and dig out a picture for you

K

kendo1

Personally, I'd choose a different colour- orange is so seventies. Looks like a pretty good job with the tiling.
Here's one I did a few months back:
dsc04.jpg

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I was fitting a bath for a landlord (know for his bodging) and we had this problem and I said I would need to make a tiled end peice, he said don't bother I have something in the garage that we can use.

He came back with an old peice of painted skirting board that he confessed he got out of his neighbours skip and he wanted me to mitre it and silicone it on!

M

Muse2k8

Bathfix Bob said:
I was fitting a bath for a landlord (know for his bodging) and we had this problem and I said I would need to make a tiled end peice, he said don't bother I have something in the garage that we can use.

He came back with an old peice of painted skirting board that he confessed he got out of his neighbours skip and he wanted me to mitre it and silicone it on!

And you refused yeah?

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I said if I'm going to fit that I'll use the peice without the 13amp socket on it!

Nah, we compromised and used UPVC, looked okay but wouldn't do it in a proper bathroom job.

M

Muse2k8

Bathfix Bob said:
I said if I'm going to fit that I'll use the peice without the 13amp socket on it!

Nah, we compromised and used UPVC, looked okay but wouldn't do it in a proper bathroom job.

I'm just imagining someone climbing into the bath with a socketed piece of skirting at the taps trying to plug in the radio :)

G

Gazebo

Hi Kylie

I'm with Kilty on this one, I like to raise it to the next full horizontal grout joint so as the keep the lines flowing around the room, as you have full tiled off the bath this would make it quite high but all personal preference, your method of how to build it is fine though.

Merry Christmas.

bobbynz

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just as a matter of interest guys, is that substrate a cementious sheeting and if so do you waterproof that. We normally waterproof the entire bath cradle including the end shelf up the wall to 300mm above bath, and 1500mm from the shower rose if not enclosed.

M

Mike

i like to tank all the wet areas, providing the customer agrees and is willing to pay, here's an example

Attachments

• rsz_bathroom_at_morlais.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 165

Reply to Boxing In - End of Bath in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks