Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bought a cordless grinder, but what way to cut? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

What way does your grinder cut?

• Blade on left, debris coming towards you

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Blade on right, debris going away from you

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I usually put a couple of full stops at the end of my posts.
[automerge]1569760036[/automerge]
There you go you sorted that quick.😁
You need to just stick one really. lol

It's a sentence. Sentences end in one usually. ;)

O

Old Mod

I use my grinders right handed with the blade facing me but I pull towards me.
Can we see some pics please of the different ways we're cutting because I'm totally confused now?!
Are you saying you undercut with your blade then Mark?
Your bade rotates anti-clockwise with it on left side of grinder as you use it, but pull toward you?
So that your blade leading edge is actually the back of the blade?
Pics tomorrow

O

One Day

Are you saying you undercut with your blade then Mark?
Your bade rotates anti-clockwise with it on left side of grinder as you use it, but pull toward you?
So that your blade leading edge is actually the back of the blade?
Pics tomorrow
Yup. It works for me but I'm always open to
new ideas...
IMG_20190930_093907.jpg

I

Italy

I am confused as to what you guys are talking about - I have my grinder in a verticle position, open blade surface facing away from me and cut in the direction of the blade rotation. I see the mark line to my right and all the dust goes away to my left. My blade guard is set across the grinder body at 90°
Same, but we are old :)

O

One Day

But why do you cut against the rotation Mark? If it’s polished doesn’t it chip glaze from underneath?
I've realised with this thread that nobody ever taught me the correct way to use a grinder to cut tiles! It just felt natural the way I do it.
I tried cutting with the blade opposite, so it's cutting onto the glaze rather than underneath it...
I can't see any advantage other than dust is thrown away...
IMG_20190930_110758.jpg

B

Bill

This is what I do, the pencil line is to my right, so I just follow that with the blade cutting in the same direction.

3009-2019-032995516492157682088.jpeg

D

Dumbo

First cut I like to go with the blade rotation pulling along the cut . I haven't really thought about how I hold it
[automerge]1569860760[/automerge]
[QUOTE="AndyStileTiling, post: 957177, member: 44192]
I've just noticed I've lost my tta badge as well

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J Sid

First cut I like to go with the blade rotation pulling along the cut . I haven't really thought about how I hold it
[automerge]1569860760[/automerge]

I've just noticed I've lost my tta badge as well

We are all apprentices now 🙈 nobody trust what we say anymore 😭

B

Bill

Never see one used like that Tom 😲
Safest way with two hands - no debris flying upwards towards my face and the dust goes away from me too. Any kickbacks are controllable with ease.

I don't understand why any of you would cut against the rotation of the blade - surely this can only stress the blade and motor.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
What’s a grinder? 😂

Reply to Bought a cordless grinder, but what way to cut? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock