Discuss Bought a cordless grinder, but what way to cut? in the Tile Cutters and Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

What way does your grinder cut?

• Blade on left, debris coming towards you

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Blade on right, debris going away from you

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reactions
So I bought a Makita 18v grinder, and it could be a game changer.
I'm using a Marcrist akkumax blade after being recommended one on here. So far so good.
The only drawback is I'm coming home dustier, even though it's cut outdoors, but the blade as supplied is on the left, throwing the dust towards me.
I'm thinking of rotating the headstock, so the blade's on the right, which will throw the dust away.

Who's done the same?

3_fall

Admin
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
27,122 92 2
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
I'm thinking of rotating the headstock, so the blade's on the right, which will throw the dust away.
Just rotate guard to see how it feels before voiding your warranty, sure switch will be underneath, but good way to try.
It’s typically a stone masons way of using a grinder, it’s not only safer if it kicks back, it throws dust away from you and is easier to see cut line.
And tbh you can control the blade far more easily than when pushing.
I had been using a grinder that way for years until I moved over to thin porcelain.

S

Spare Tool

All sounds a bit cack handed to me, well if your right handed anyway, good for the dust but not great for cutting on the line, must take some getting used to...

3_fall

Admin
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
27,122 92 2
All sounds a bit cack handed to me, well if your right handed anyway, good for the dust but not great for cutting on the line, must take some getting used to...
No not at all Andy, in fact seeing your line is much easier.
You view it from back left side of blade, rather than leaning over grinder. 😁

S

Spare Tool

Confused now as that's how I see the blade as it is normally in right hand, flip the guard and turn it over then you'd have to look over right hand....no?

3_fall

Admin
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
27,122 92 2
Confused now as that's how I see the blade as it is normally in right hand, flip the guard and turn it over then you'd have to look over right hand....no?
No 😊 as you pull grinder toward you, your line is visible between blade and stock, the back left side of blade, which when pulling, is actually the leading edge of the blade, cos you’re cutting backward.
I’m sure not all stone masons are doing it wrong mate. 🤣🤣
Post automatically merged:

Yes when you’re pushing, as long as your blade is to the right of the line you can see it, (not always possible to be on the right unless you compensate with line measurement) but if you are, you’re stood to left of grinder, which means it’s not a natural position to be in to push forwards in a straight line.
Therefore the stock can fluctuate in its position cos you’re pushing a heavy weight forward against the blade.
Whereas, when pulling, the weight is pulling the blade, therefore pulling in a straight line is easier than pushing in straight line. 🤣
It’s easier understood whilst trying it or being demonstrated mate.
And anyway, if it snags while pushing, the grinder is ripped from your paws, taking it god knows where. If you’re pulling and it snags, far less likely because of angle of stock in relation to wheel, the grinder is forced into your body and instinctively your grip is tightened and makes for a much safer recovery.
Any more questions mate? 😁🤣🤣

Last edited:

Deleted member 5970

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,514 63 3
I cut the reverse way, have done for years, dust sent away start away from you and pulling towards you for straight cut and turn round for mitres.
The only time you really need to watch what your doing is when you get to the last bit of the cut, close to you, it will / can grip and kick.

S

Spare Tool

No 😊 as you pull grinder toward you, your line is visible between blade and stock, the back left side of blade, which when pulling, is actually the leading edge of the blade, cos you’re cutting backward.
I’m sure not all stone masons are doing it wrong mate. 🤣🤣

Yes when you’re pushing, as long as your blade is to the right of the line you can see it, (not always possible to be on the right unless you compensate with line measurement) but if you are, you’re stood to left of grinder, which means it’s not a natural position to be in to push forwards in a straight line.
Therefore the stock can fluctuate in its position cos you’re pushing a heavy weight forward against the blade.
Whereas, when pulling, the weight is pulling the blade, therefore pulling in a straight line is easier than pushing in straight line. 🤣
It’s easier understood whilst trying it or being demonstrated mate.
And anyway, if it snags while pushing, the grinder is ripped from your paws, taking it god knows where. If you’re pulling and it snags, far less likely because of angle of stock in relation to wheel, the grinder is forced into your body and instinctively your grip is tightened and makes for a much safer recovery.
Any more questions mate? 😁🤣🤣
Good explanation but I'm too long in the tooth to change my methods now I think... 😂

B

Bill

I am confused as to what you guys are talking about - I have my grinder in a verticle position, open blade surface facing away from me and cut in the direction of the blade rotation. I see the mark line to my right and all the dust goes away to my left. My blade guard is set across the grinder body at 90°

3_fall

Admin
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
27,122 92 2
Good explanation but I'm too long in the tooth to change my methods now I think
So why bloody argue with me then! 🙈🤣🤣

I am confused as to what you guys are talking about - I have my grinder in a verticle position, open blade surface facing away from me and cut in the direction of the blade rotation. I see the mark line to my right and all the dust goes away to my left. My blade guard is set across the grinder body at 90°
Photos or it didn’t happen haha 😂

Sounds like an episode of ‘Soap’ haha

S

Spare Tool

Wasn't arguing, just didn't realise there was so many different ways of using a grinder

@Dan how come if you try and post with full stops it says they are forbidden?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reactions
5,834 31
DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Say whaaaaaat?

It's the 5-word rule, they were being used as words. But it's clearly blocking all full stops lol

S

Spare Tool

I usually put a couple of full stops at the end of my posts..

There you go you sorted that quick.......😁

3_fall

Admin
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
27,122 92 2
I use my grinders right handed with the blade facing me but I pull towards me.
Can we see some pics please of the different ways we're cutting because I'm totally confused now?!
Are you saying you undercut with your blade then Mark?
Your bade rotates anti-clockwise with it on left side of grinder as you use it, but pull toward you?
So that your blade leading edge is actually the back of the blade?
Pics tomorrow

O

One Day

Are you saying you undercut with your blade then Mark?
Your bade rotates anti-clockwise with it on left side of grinder as you use it, but pull toward you?
So that your blade leading edge is actually the back of the blade?
Pics tomorrow
Yup. It works for me but I'm always open to
new ideas...
IMG_20190930_093907.jpg

antonio

TF
Esteemed
Piastrellista Italiano
Arms
Reactions
24,112 62
Same, but we are old :)

O

One Day

But why do you cut against the rotation Mark? If it’s polished doesn’t it chip glaze from underneath?
I've realised with this thread that nobody ever taught me the correct way to use a grinder to cut tiles! It just felt natural the way I do it.
I tried cutting with the blade opposite, so it's cutting onto the glaze rather than underneath it...
I can't see any advantage other than dust is thrown away...
IMG_20190930_110758.jpg

B

Bill

This is what I do, the pencil line is to my right, so I just follow that with the blade cutting in the same direction.

3009-2019-032995516492157682088.jpeg

Deleted member 38091

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,662 58 1
First cut I like to go with the blade rotation pulling along the cut . I haven't really thought about how I hold it

[QUOTE="AndyStileTiling, post: 957177, member: 44192]
I've just noticed I've lost my tta badge as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 5970

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
8,514 63 3
First cut I like to go with the blade rotation pulling along the cut . I haven't really thought about how I hold it

I've just noticed I've lost my tta badge as well
We are all apprentices now 🙈 nobody trust what we say anymore 😭

B

Bill

Never see one used like that Tom 😲
Safest way with two hands - no debris flying upwards towards my face and the dust goes away from me too. Any kickbacks are controllable with ease.

I don't understand why any of you would cut against the rotation of the blade - surely this can only stress the blade and motor.

Reply to Bought a cordless grinder, but what way to cut? in the Tile Cutters and Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters | Large Format Cutters and Tools

Click here to support the forum/remove ads

Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, we hope you find the tiling tools you're looking for. You're welcome to post a new thread yourself asking where the best place is to find the tool or cutter. Our forum members will do their best too find the best tool supplier for you, with the cheapest prices.

Finding Tile Cutters such as Rubi, Sigma, Riamondi and Montolit at the cheapest prices is one of the best investments you can make. The cutters you use will last for years, if not decades. So it's important you buy the right rail cutter or wet cutter right from the start, at the lowest possible price.

We also have a Electricians Forums and Electricians Tools advice. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Threads (Sitewide)

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.