Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Botched Tiling Job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I have recently had my NEW BUILD property tiled with porcelain tiles. As you can see from the images, the skirtings look ruined! This is a new build property and everything was sitting perfectly until the tiler came. The tiler has been paid but I have told him that I am not happy and he will be returning to have a look. Am I going too far to ask him for a full refund and to replace the tiles so they can be rectified by another tiler? You can see the absence of attention to detail in the video. Thanks! Any advice is appreciated!
5A7EBCB3-3028-4D16-AFD3-D5CBDF09A3B8.jpeg
D996B95C-9D4D-4339-9A4B-0F598CE68F98.jpeg
77CC9FE0-CF20-42BE-A8C5-9E4D8244525E.jpeg
4E964FBF-0115-4203-89D7-A50ED0918E06.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not the greatest really, fairly poorly finished, broken tiles, misaligned joints & crap layout. No attempt to even seal up the perimeter would would have mad wit look a little better. I wouldn't be happy with it.

I went to see a botched job that I was originally to do but along came the cheaper quote... Wonder if it's the same area 🤔

T

Time's Ran Out

If it’s a new build why are the skirtings on before the tile?
Always best to put the expansion joint under the skirting then have the gap up against the front of the skirting. That joint should have caulking for flexibility to cover the dark grout and that can be painted in with the skirting. No doubt it was already painted before he arrived!
Sometimes politeness and diplomacy gets better results.
Videos show a bit more of his lack of finesse!

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My recent experience from a large new build area is that the builders have no interest in helping by leaving skirting off as they are not the ones carrying out the tile and it's being externally sourced. They are also voiding all warrantys on removal of sanitaryware to tile under also 🙄. They want it signed off and out of there, not to return at a later date for re fitting and decoration. If we remove them and disturb the decoration it's usually left with a bad feeling towards the tiler. It's a tricky one with skirtings sometimes I feel in a new build

Reaction score
Definitely a lack of finesse coupled with a poor setting out! Poor tile alignment too! If there was a slight variation in tile size then it is possible that the tiles were of a different batch.

Not sure why the setting out was done so that you had thin slithers at the edge, always better to re centre and have a larger cut around the perimeter!
As Timeless John said...... If it's a new build, why were the skirts fitted before tile? I personally would have advised you to have skirts removed before tile and then re fitted afterwards!

As for your course of action, always better to be a bit diplomatic and give the tiler a chance to rectify everything first. Have a list ready and run through it with him.

OP
M
Reaction score
My recent experience from a large new build area is that the builders have no interest in helping by leaving skirting off as they are not the ones carrying out the tile and it's being externally sourced. They are also voiding all warrantys on removal of sanitaryware to tile under also 🙄. They want it signed off and out of there, not to return at a later date for re fitting and decoration. If we remove them and disturb the decoration it's usually left with a bad feeling towards the tiler. It's a tricky one with skirtings sometimes I feel in a new build

Hi, yeah I did ask the developer to leave the skirtings off but they never. I would have gotten someone to take them off if I knew it was going to be SUCH an issue.

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The skirting issue is only a small part of the issues there, i'd be addressing the rest rather than that one mostly. a capable tiler could have done a good enough job without removal of them

OP
M
Reaction score
Terrible job
Definitely a lack of finesse coupled with a poor setting out! Poor tile alignment too! If there was a slight variation in tile size then it is possible that the tiles were of a different batch.

Not sure why the setting out was done so that you had thin slithers at the edge, always better to re centre and have a larger cut around the perimeter!
As Timeless John said...... If it's a new build, why were the skirts fitted before tile? I personally would have advised you to have skirts removed before tile and then re fitted afterwards!

As for your course of action, always better to be a bit diplomatic and give the tiler a chance to rectify everything first. Have a list ready and run through it with him.

Do you see a way around fixing the spacing etc rather than ripping it up and laying a whole new set? Thanks!

Reaction score
Do you see a way around fixing the spacing etc rather than ripping it up and laying a whole new set? Thanks!

It's a shame but like Tony-C says, there is so much stuff not very well done that, in my opinion, the only real way of getting a better finish would be to take a lot of it up and start again.
I agree that a competent tiler could leave a much tighter and neater joint against the skirting but then there's no room for any expansion on such a large area. If I was the customer I would want all perimeter tiles lifting, all broken tiles lifting, all tiles where joint alignment runs out lifting and all tiles around door frames where the cutting is so far out lifting and all re laying.

If the tiler agrees to that then say, to make life easier for him as his permiter cuts obviously aren't the neatest, would he prefer to have the skirts removed? This way you're helping him out as he obviously lacks finesse, and you will get a better finish to the perimeters. As for the touching up of the paint work afterwards perhaps come to an agreement with that too?
Once the skirts are re fitted, a nice thin bead of white silicone around the bottom will give a neater finish, it will also prevent moisture being trapped between the underside of the skirts and top of the tile if you were to mop the floors.

Reaction score
Was your kitchen already tiled,then you have got the tiler in to carry on through to the hallway off the same setting out?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We could blame tile size for the joints not aligning , the tiles don’t look top quality porcelain, the setting out and slithers could be down to different rooms being tiled and we have to compromise somewhere, but looking at the cuts and some of the laying, i blame the tiler for just being a rough nut ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Botched Tiling Job? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock