Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Black Limestone – Sealing before jointing in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
P

Peter Knight

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello

From this forum I understand that I need to seal before jointing and understand that I need a combined impregnator and sealer.

My intention is to colour enhance the stone to get it back to black. I have come down to a choice between 2 products:
  1. Romex colour enhancing sealer
  2. Miracle 511 seal and enhancer
Is there any member advise / preference on which one to go for?

I presume that I will need 2 coats and so both coats are applied before jointing?

I am concerned about the sealant running into the joint gaps and having an effect on the jointing compound?

Thanks

Pete

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Whichever you choose Pete , test on an un laid stone first . Any impregnating sealer will require the excess removed fully, generally I buff mine dry as I work through in controlled sections, no wet look finishes and let dry.
Follow the manufactures guidelines as they may state a different application.

My main point ; just because you seal/ impregnate a stone . does not mean your pointing or grouting will not get stuck/ contaminate the face of the stone.
If you are sealing ,the stone will need to be released of all moisture from the installation and any cleaning you have completed, unless it states otherwise.
Generally we all seal face and edge, to protect from bleed, do not flood the joints as this can produce discolouration from excess product, impregnating the edges will be dependant on whichever pointing system you use. Ask the supplier of the stone if they recommend it.
If you use a resin brush in pointing system , inquire if they want the stone sealed or not before completing this process.

Reply to Black Limestone – Sealing before jointing in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock