Discuss Black grout nightmare! in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

alib103

:mad2: Just done my first wall with black grout, used the stuff before on floors but today was a total nightmare. White tiles, brick bond, the stuff just went everywhere and stained everything. 2 hour job took 4, had to leave job and going to have to go back and silicone another day.
Anyone got any tips for dealing with this stuff, i'm knackered and feeling totally hacked off!

S

Stewart

I don't treat it any differently than any other grout apart from gloves. I always try to work clean and use lots of clean water when wiping down with an almost dry sponge.

I would grout,
allow to almost set,
Give first wipe down,
Allow to dry to a haze,
Give another wipe down,
Return next day to polish and silicone.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
talk the customer out of it,say something like "you want black grout,it is so like yesterday" :smilewinkgrin:

T

Time's Ran Out

timeless-john-albums-stone-picture13605t-indian-multicolour-400x300mm-hand-made-mosaic.jpg
It's messy stuff!

M

Max@ableskills

Its always has and always will be a nightmare. Gloves, are a must. I have a float that only comes out when i have to grout in black because as much as i clean it after use black stains will still be on it

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
black grout is a night mare .as stewart says for me , the longer you can leave it the better. we did some red grout the other day ,we managed to polish of the same day

A

alib103

Float is already in the bin, along with the old adhesive tub i use ot mix it. Just spokento customer and explained the nightmare i had, they still seem pleased so will pop back later this week and silicone. Next time i'll do everything i can to talj them out of it. I hope the wife likes black fingernails...i reckon mine are going to be like that for a few days to come!

A

akinsontiles

I once had to talk a clerk of works for South Tyneside Council out of using the stuff as all my guys were refusing to tile the kitchens with it. Had hell on with them at the time. Only advice I've got would be lots of sponges and as little water as possible. Practicly leave it to set hard and point using a tool (or finger nail) then dust up. im glad I'm not the only one that has had this problem though!

A

advancetiling

invisible glove cream on hands before grouting,swarfega after. black grout is horrible stuff though

K

kingsparky

nasty black grout. Kept my marshal float in case get asked again but would alway try and talk customer out of it.

Reply to Black grout nightmare! in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks