Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Biscuits screed (dry) SBR??... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Deleted member 53943

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Evening folks.
I’ll get straight to the point. Been to look at a job. Dining area / kitchen. Roughly 45m2
The contractor previous have installed underfloor heating and screeded it with a biscuit mix dry (7-1). The floor to me wants self levelling before anyone starts, it’s not bad for level but very bitty. Sweeping a brush creates a dust.. the client has said not to SBR it but if they want me to tile I’m insisting it’s done. Anyone every come across this and have any other ideas?.. (spray an SBR?)
Any help appreciated
H

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hover the screed and prime sbr/water 1-4 ratio.give it a second prime if it still absorbs .if it's really crumbly (bitty) it's probably been mixed too dry .why doesn't the customer want you to prime the screed ???

OP
D

Deleted member 53943

Hover the screed and prime sbr/water 1-4 ratio.give it a second prime if it still absorbs .if it's really crumbly (bitty) it's probably been mixed too dry .why doesn't the customer want you to prime the screed ???

morning,
The customer (she) told me it had already been done and sealed via building contractor’s but I’m going to insist if she wants me to do it. I’m going to SBR the floor prior to any works done. Don’t want any problems down the line. I just wanted to see if anyone had come across this biscuit screed before. 99% of my work if concrete or tile backer board prior to tiles.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
From what I've just read up on biscuit screeds you can't tile directly to them.theyre not strong enough.is this on a suspended floor ?

OP
D

Deleted member 53943

No mate it’s a solid floor, i put the post up to see if anyone had come across a biscuit screed mix, the floor it self is sound enough (levels wise). Alarm bells just started to ring when she said not to SBR the floor prior to me self levelling it.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ask the customer to give you a reason as to why the floor shouldn't need sbr seal(prime).
7-1 is a really week mix and from what I've read they aren't disigned for tile.4-1 is normal sand/cement.

OP
D

Dumbo

To be honest if had the customer dictating to me how to do the job i would just leave it as it will end in tears
[automerge]1586006085[/automerge]
Also you are getting a warning on how the customer is going to be on the rest of the job

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Walk away. 7:1 uncompacted biscuit screed will fall to bits with heating. The tiles WILL fail.

Cris

TF
Reaction score
7-1 screed mix is very poor base to tile on. use a membrane or walkaway coz tiles will deffo fail

Reply to Biscuits screed (dry) SBR??... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock