Discuss Big Clinker cutter & Ceramaic tile question in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jock McG

Hi all. Finally started cuts on floor tiles today and few questions re cutter & tiles:
Usina new Big Clinker 600 cutter with B&Q (I know I know!) 9mm ceramic tiles 298/458 and used a couple broken tiles to run some demo cuts to get used to the cutter.
2 things concern me
1) the top glaze on tile when lightly scoring them literally splinters along whole length of cut and to my eyes looks bad - lucking the first couple of dozen will be hidden on that side but the other 60 wont!
2) see pic - the snap cuts are not clean after the press point but (pic shows 14 tiles) are all consistent except they have a "twist" along their full length which is going to affect spacer gaps - this happens just after snap point as shown on pic.
Am I right to be concerned?

Tile 1.JPG Tile 2.JPG

O

Old Mod

Never owned or tried a 'Big Clinker' cutter, there's a couple of things to try.
Apply different pressures when you score the tile.
You mention press point, could be just your terminology, you don't 'press' the breaking arm.
It's a 'snap' short sharp tap would be a better description.
Place feet on tile after scribing and tap the arm with sufficient force to break the tile.
Gently at first and increase to a level where the tile breaks.
I know of guys who get on very well with the machine, so could be just technique.
Sanding the cut edge is something that can be required depending on the tile.
You can get something like a diamond hand pad to finish the edge.
Couldn't see anything on @Pro Tiler Tools, maybe I'm missing something.

Ats diamond tools have these.

Diamond pads

For ceramic 200# would probably suit, nothing too aggressive.

The twist in the break, if I understand correctly is not that uncommon, you can use either a pair of tile nippers to take off the excess, or run a grinder down the cut edge to remove it.

R

Rookery

The big clinker is quite a good machine for the money, if not the most accurate cutter I've ever used. As 3Fall says, it could be your technique. Firstly, just one light score on a smooth tile will suffice and don't stop during your scribe. Place the breaker foot back half an inch from the far end of the tile and give the handle a sharp knock. Adjust your 'action' until you're getting nice clean cuts. Of course, if you're cutting crappy BCT tiles it's never easy!

J

Jock McG

SORTED! Took the crap Big Clinker back to Screwfix - cutting wheel was just too broad on the edge and the centre break lin seemed also to be causing probs. Turns out the B Clinker is a generic name and quite a few version of it!
Anyway borrowed a very well used (looks knacked) Rubi TS60 and it's doing the job no problem.

Reply to Big Clinker cutter & Ceramaic tile question in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks