Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bevelled tiles - nightmare? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Wstarw

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I bought some Metro Dark Grey 100x300x8mm bevelled-edge tiles. I would like to blame the wife but I had done some tile years ago and thought everything would be sweet. Well, she did want the bevelled type rather than flat. Anyway, after purchasing I realised, (by investigating), that I not only need to mitre inside edges but that tile trim might look 'funny'. I have invested in a wet saw to cut the mitre but what trim should I use for the (1) tops of the tiles, (which may or may not be the bevelled taper - generally would be but i'm not sure if that will work on the splashback as i'm only going up to the extractor), (2) external corners around the window reveal. If my tile is generally good, (which remains to be seen), will it still look a bit naff because of the edging? Any advice appriciated as well as links to appropriate edging strips if poss. Thank you!

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum.
To best of my knowledge, no trim exists to accommodate the external corners of bevelled metros.
The best finish will be to mitre them, same as internal.
Making sure that both pieces either side of the external corner cut through a he same part of the tile. ie bevelled area, or flat area.
Obviously setting out plays a major role in fitting bevelled tiles.
If you could swing it that all flat areas of the tiles hit the external corners, then a regular flat trim would work.
I’ve seen others fit trim to them when the bevels are cut, imo it looks awful.
Hopefully you won’t be cutting the tops of of tiles to leave an exposed bevelled edge, in that case any flat style would finish the top. Just make sure you don’t oversize it, that looks worse than a mm short imo.
Having said all this :)
I haven’t fitted metros in years, I generally turn that type of work away because I don’t like the finish and can’t put my heart in to it.
There are however, a few guys on here who are metro guru’s and they’ll be able to give you additional advice, I’m sure.

@Andy Allen hast a vast knowledge on the subject.

And good luck with your project

OP
W

Wstarw

TF
Reaction score
That’s great advice thank you. Just a quick question on the external mitres: should I leave a couple of mm for grout between the 2 tiles on the corner edge or butt them as flush as possible?

O

Old Mod

That’s great advice thank you. Just a quick question on the external mitres: should I leave a couple of mm for grout between the 2 tiles on the corner edge or butt them as flush as possible?
If you leave a couple of mm you can grout it, but you can also leave it proud and then shape it to a round before it finally sets.
Or flatten it across the corner like an ‘arris’ if the mitre is tight enough.

O

Old Mod

Thanks! I’ll give it a try. I will post pics of the result . I also learned what an arris is tonight !

Well that’s what we’re here for, education, education, & to pick up the pieces if it goes wrong. :)
Very best of luck, just take your time with the mitre work and you’ll be happy with the result.
I do have two videos on my media page showing mitre techniques.
They’re for porcelain but principle is the same, only remember, ceramic is MUCH softer. :thumbsup:

Reply to Bevelled tiles - nightmare? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock