Discuss Best Trim/mitre Cutters in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

ryanbrown

What do you reckon is the best type of trim cutters to get -
the replaceable blade type or more expensive ones that can be sharpened?

Whats the best type and brand out there?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tried a few and they always seem to squash the trim when they cut (even with a brand new blade) which gives the cut a curve that looks awful. I don't think you can beat a mini mitre block and junior hacksaw.

I only use my trim snips for straight cuts now plus you'd need to go the hacksaw route for metal trim anyway.

D

DHTiling

Just get a mitre box and junior hacksaw.......those trim cutters just crush as stated...........and won,t cut mitres edge on..........

G

Gazzer

I have cutters for cutting it to length but a special mitre box that i am trying out and hacksaw for mitre cuts.

P

pjtiler

cutters are ok for 6 mm but for 8,10 and 12 mm your far better off with the old junior

B

brundlefly

these are the best trim cutters ive ever used
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Plastic_Trims.html

alot depends on the trim, ive found cheap trims like the ones from topps
tend to fold/crush when cutting mitres, over 8mm i would use a block and saw

be careful when buying, some cutters only take the manufacturers blades and not a standard stanley blade, the ones from trade tiler (link above) are a standard stanley type blade

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I use trim snips (The Trade tiler ones) for straight cuts. I practiced for hours and hours at 45 deg mitre cuts, but get curved lines 99% of the time. I use a Homelux mitre box (£2.99 @ Topps) for mitre cuts. However, the box is made of very flimsy plastic and I'm expecting it to break any day now. Don't call me cheap, but I found a bigger & stronger mitre box at '99p stores'. I used it today for the first time and I was very impressed with it. For 99p it even comes with a saw (but the saw is for cutting wood).

B

brian c

IMO they are a waste of money and you are better with the block and saw method as stated.

P

Perry

i think a cheap mitre saw makes a far better job than any plastic box or snips and only costs about £10-£15 and when i had used it longtime ago lol sometimes to make a good joint i used plastic cement to join it then sanded it so you couldn't see the joint :pete

D

Daz

I only use a mitre block and fine toothed hacksaw. Sometimes give the edges a little dust with my sanding block just to create that perfect join.

H

hillhead

I use the plastic mitre box too with standard size hacksaw(300 i think).it means you can get long strokes and cuts faster.A good quality small hardwood mitre box with deep base and the pre cut sides would be perfect but where could i get one????? or 2 or 3 or more??? because they are so hard to find!!!

Joe
Hillhead Tiling
----
I use the plastic mitre box too with standard size hacksaw(300 i think).it means you can get long strokes and cuts faster.A good quality small hardwood mitre box with deep base and the pre cut sides would be perfect but where could i get one????? or 2 or 3 or more??? because they are so hard to find!!!

Joe
Hillhead Tiling
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Best Trim/mitre Cutters in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks