Discuss Best QUALITY Grout there is? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wau5

Last year when tiling bathroom I used mapei ultracolor plus limestone (the one which has all the bells and whistles written on packaging) , it wasn't the nicest to work with,was patchy/had colour bleed and a year later it has lost its colour/washed off in wetroom area -not really impressed with it... Can't really rate it more highly than a super super cheap no-name grout I had used before..
Same with their shaded silicone..a year later it looks ''worn'' where as the dow corning silicone in nearby place applied at same time still looks as new.

What do the Pro's use? What's the best quality stuff there is?
I saw someone mentioned a tilemaster 3000 grout and said its much better than the mapei , but that's just one name I saw. Not really sure what to look for, have a whole kitchen to grout & Don't want to use the lowest quality stuff just because everyone stocks it.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I use different grouts for different tiles..
Ceramic wall tiles... Bal standard grout, white, ivory, grey etc..

Ceramic floor tiles..... Bal wide joint grout.

Porcelain floor tiles.... Bal superflex

Rectified porcelain walls and floors, or any porcelain on the wall.. .. Grout 3000.

G

GoneGuy

I use Mapei ultracolor plus on most of my jobs unless either the customer supplies the grout.

T

Time's Ran Out

Everyone has a preference and tile type has a major bearing on choice - porcelain, ceramic, glass, stone......
It’s down to experience, availability, colour, joint size... but rarely price!
It’s too important to finish the job correctly and that’s why I spent 6 months grouting before I was allowed to fix a tile.

craig89

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've just finished grouting two shower rooms using BAL micromax 2.....
never again! Possibly the most un-tiler friendly grout I have ever used.
Client wanted the 'best on the market' so thats what we bought.
I love BAL's other grouts but surely they've dropped a clanger with this one.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I use Bal MM2 on everything , as for overpriced i get mine from CTD and its about the same price as the Mapei ..

T

Time's Ran Out

using granfix mainly again ...nice stuff at the mome

As I said - everyone will have a preference - but that is the only grout I’ve ever used and had to cut it all out!
It was fix only for a bathroom co. who supplied it - 4 bags of Limestone colour for stone tile. All 4 bags were a different batch no. and each bag dried patchy. Of course it’s the tilers fault for not checking the batch no’s. before grouting!! Charged the tile supplier a days labour for my effort, got paid and am still doing the bathroom companies work to this day . It’s not the money it’s the fact I don’t do regrouts.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ive had problems with Granfix grout , it was supplied by the customer the tiles were rectified porcelain , it was nice to use and clean off but i had to go back and fix some pinholes in the grout , then it happened on another job so no more granfix for me
Grout 3000 is good but nobody supplies it up here ...

Last edited:
F

Flintstone

I used to use granfix all the time before Tilemaster came on the scene for me and the grey was absolutely terrible. It’s still available to me and on occasion I have used it the maxi grout has been ok, fast setting, better than the hygiene +

Reply to Best QUALITY Grout there is? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks