Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss BEST FLEXIBLE FLOOR GROUT (2mm joints) Floating Floor! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,

Was wondering what is the best flexible grout for a polished porcelain floor with 2mm joints. (Tiled on a floating floor)
Was advised by tile shop to use Mapei Ultra colour plus, adding flexible primer?? But grout has cracked, well more sort of come away from the edges.
Tiler happy to come back and put right but talking of using epoxy grout? Wondred if that sounded correct or not?

As an absolute no nothing about tile lady, I have spent ages trawling through the internet and it would appear that a flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ with no additive would be better? Read Bal superflex (not wide joint) sounded good? I am of course ready to be corrected:)

OP
D

Deleted member 9966

personally I think you're going to struggle with the floating floor and the grout. it's the floating floor that is causing the grout to crack more than likely. so no matter how flexible the grout is, it will still eventually fail as the grout is not rubberised to take the floor deviating in different directions. unless of course your floating floor is more rigid than it seems, you will struggle to keep the grout intact. many professional tilers do not like floating floors because essentially you are not tile on to anything rigid. As soon as you walk over the floor, you're adding movement to it, and if it's not rigid to start with, the tiles will go with the movement and become detached in the worst cases.

do you know how your floating floor was constructed?

OP
S

Stewart

To be honest, your tiler should have warned you about the dangers of tile on a floating floor. Most tilers on the forum would recommend not to tile, as a floating floor isn't suitable to be tiled on, and more than likely, all types of grout are going come loose from the joints due to too much movement in the floor.

OP
U

Unregistered

Hi All again,

Didn't know how to answer back - Sorry first time post!

Tiler did actually warn us beforehand, but spent a long time making floor as rigid as poss (unsure exactly what he did - sorry)

Am aware that this may be an ongoing problem with the grout if there is movement but think its woth one more go to see - Any suggestions as to which grout would be best.

Grout appears to be coming away from the edges, tiler mentioned as they were sealed porcelain, grout may not have bonded to edges of tile? therefore he suggests Epoxy - Sounds very messy from what I've read.

I assume no one thinks its the additive that was mixed with the Mapei Ultracolour that was the problem?

Your advice is invaluable, what a great forum - Thanks for your time

OP
U

Unregistered

Hi All,
I'm assuming no one thinks the epoxy grout the tiler advised is going to be any good?
Thanks Again

OP
G

Gazzer

I really dont think Epoxy grout is the way to go.
I would be thinking that if the Mapei grout has failed then there was either and error in the application or there is too much movement in the floor.
The most flexible grout I have ever used was Bal Wide Joint with GT1 admix.

OP
G

Gazzer

Your posts are not appearing until approved. You will get better response if you take the time to register on the forum . Thank you.

OP
D

doug boardley

I really can't see anything working tbh, tile a floating floor is like tile a trampoline in most cases.

OP
S

simon1

Hello,

Was wondering what is the best flexible grout for a polished porcelain floor with 2mm joints. (Tiled on a floating floor)
Was advised by tile shop to use Mapei Ultra colour plus, adding flexible primer?? But grout has cracked, well more sort of come away from the edges.
Tiler happy to come back and put right but talking of using epoxy grout? Wondred if that sounded correct or not?

As an absolute no nothing about tile lady, I have spent ages trawling through the internet and it would appear that a flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ with no additive would be better? Read Bal superflex (not wide joint) sounded good? I am of course ready to be corrected:)

Ultra color plus grout should not have an additive added to it as its already flexible.

try the Bal non flexi with Bal GT1

OP
O

orchard tiling

Mapei is the best. It already has polymers in it which means its already flexible. Used on loads of jobs, best by a mile.

Reply to BEST FLEXIBLE FLOOR GROUT (2mm joints) Floating Floor! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock