Discuss best exterior adhesive(frost resistance etc) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Ceramico tiling

Hi all

I have an exterior job coming up and want to use the absolute(tried and tested) best adhesive for it.

The job basically entails tiling brick-slips on WBP that are going to be attached onto a restaurant duct that runs up the outside of the building.(all designed by an engineer so they wont budge on the ply)

My major concerns are the movement in the ply and the frost resistance of the adhesive so I want the best. I was thinking about Kerraquick with the additive or maybe Ardex..I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me who has done an exterior job on ply that is a good few years old and still standing.

thanks
Russ

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks for asking Russ. I'm looking at an exterior tiling project at the moment. Got a thread about it in the Arms. I haven't got onto considerations on adhesive but i'm interested to know what's suggested to you.

B

burncross

I've also got a repair job coming up on a entrance floor to a shop.
Last week we had barmy temperture of 12c in January, so i though all ok to do, now its sub zero, can't really be laying floor tiles until temperture back up to 5c.....unless anyone knows any adhesive thats very fast setting and can be used below 5c?

B

bugs183

Always outside work in winter, yuk!
It doesn't sound like a recipe for success tiling onto plywood in an exterior situation,it's too unstable, and once any water has got in this will only get worse.
I'd be tempted to get the Architect to give you a full spec (which will be wrong), or overboard with 6mm marmox or similar, glued and screwed.
Then fix with a good quality S2 adhesive.

C

Ceramico tiling

I've also got a repair job coming up on a entrance floor to a shop.
Last week we had barmy temperture of 12c in January, so i though all ok to do, now its sub zero, can't really be laying floor tiles until temperture back up to 5c.....unless anyone knows any adhesive thats very fast setting and can be used below 5c?
adhesives dont set when heat escapes too quickly and a reaction does not take place..You could try laying insulation over the tiles in freezing temperatures.That combined with a kettle and a few big heaters will work if you dont get the appropriate adhesive. Ive been in this situation before(2 or 3 below) managed to get things to set,but took allot longer than usual

C

Ceramico tiling

Always outside work in winter, yuk!
It doesn't sound like a recipe for success tiling onto plywood in an exterior situation,it's too unstable, and once any water has got in this will only get worse.
I'd be tempted to get the Architect to give you a full spec (which will be wrong), or overboard with 6mm marmox or similar, glued and screwed.
Then fix with a good quality S2 adhesive.
I got it overboarded with 6mm wedi eventually.The architect wouldnt budge on the ply untill i directed him to the ardex and mapei technical depts who would not guarantee their adhesives on ply.I dont have faith in architect specs etc!!

afright

TF
Reaction score
I,ve found Weber spf rapid set's ok in cold temps did a balcony a few weeks back the temp was about 6c it set ok was grouting it after two hours have used Bal rapid once it took nearly all day to set Weber's the kid for me.

T

True Tiling

There is noooooooo way tiling onto plywood in an exterior situation is a good idea. Forget it. Wait until the temperature rises above 5 Degs C and then use cement backer board and tile using the best exterior grout & adhesive you can find ;)

J

Jeff the tiler

Hey speak with Ardex technicial dept at Haverhill. Sorry not got their no on me. They will advise you correctly.

Reply to best exterior adhesive(frost resistance etc) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks