Discuss Best DIY adhesive & grout for showers ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

casablanca

What adhesive and white grout should this DIYer buy to patch small areas of tiling under two power showers ?

The first required where tiles have 'popped' away from a plastered brick wall - possibly because water soaked through cracks in grout.
The second, after a plumbing repair, where tiles must be replaced on a plastered stud wall.

The total area of both jobs is under 4 square metres, but they must be tackled over a month apart.

I'd welcome advice how to clean neighbouring old white grout to get best match with new - but will tolerate imperfections.

B

brian c

Thats the problem with power showers,if tiles are originally not fitted properly or the correct adhesive and grout has not been used then you get tiles popping due to the water getting in behind tiles and swelling or soaking walls.TBH i think you should get someone to come and give you a quote for tiling as i think you have a problem in the shower area.

D

DHTiling

If the tiles have popped, it sounds like stress somewhere...either water ingression or no perimeter joints..

Deffo wants looking at before you just patch it in..

C

casablanca

Thanks for these helpful and quick replies.
I'm progressing with the first 'popped tiles' shower problem - stripped back all loose tiles, NOT found any problem behind, waited till absolutely dry ....
But after reading Forums, still unsure about best ad and grout under power showers - so many favourites and difficulties described - especially about using epoxy, which looks the best ?
Then there's the question of cleaning old white grout to improve matching .... ?
So more advice always welcome.

D

Deleted member 9966

the best advice is to knock all the tiles off and start again. repairing and repatching may only cure the problem for months or a couple of years. I repatched my shower cubicle less than 18 months ago and it didn't take long for the tiles to blow again. the more you repair, the costlier it will become.

epoxy adhesives and grouts are expensive. most of the pro fixers on here use Mapei or BAL. I have used both in DIY settlings. It really comes down to how much you want to spend.

You really should avoid cheap tubbed adhesives from DIY stores as they require air flow to allow the adhesive to set and if you've covered the back of the tile in adhesive completely, well not much air will get round. powdered adhesives (bagged) set by chemical reaction and don't need air flow to set. But powdered adhesives require mixing yourself, so it's a matter of how confident you are with it.

Same again with grout, use a powdered grout that you mix yourself. And as for matching the grout colours, Mapei do a product called Fuga Fresca which I know comes in white and black, so might be worth a look. It's kind of like a grout paint and you could use it all over to help match up the grout.

:thumbsup:

C

casablanca

GirlRacerRed,
Thanks for advice.
In Topps today I bought my first materials for this job, but wonder if I've been wise.
Found a helpful and patient assistant.
The BAL powdered Adhesive came in bags too big for my job, so I was recommended to BAL Grip - but now worry if this tubbed stuff was a false economy given your comments on tubs ?
It wasn't the mixing that bothered me, but the wastage (cost).
I was also recommended to BAL Primer to improve adhesion to my old plaster (on brick) ground.
I DID buy BAL powdered Microflex Grout.
I like the idea of the Mapei Fuga Fresca white grout paint to help merge old with new, but wonder if this water-based product can stand up to the hammering of a power shower above - a question I've just mailed to Mapei, but would welcome other experiences.

R

Rich

Havnt used that addy for many years (since I changed to Mapei) but im pretty sure BAL Grip is pretty good stuff and suitable for your job. I think GirlRaceRed was referring to cheap tubbed addy (e.g. B&Q value stuff). The micoflex is also suitable although personally not my fav to work with. You will need to prime the walls before tiling as the adhesive is resin based. Follow the advice from the pros on here and you shouldnt have any problems. :thumbsup:

Reply to Best DIY adhesive & grout for showers ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks