Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Best blade for porcelain cutting in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Any recommendations for a blade for cutting a lot of 16mm porcelain tiles, in a bridge cutter?

I read that Marcrist CK850 is a good blade? A 200mm one is nearly £80.

O

Old Mod

A montolit DNA is a very good blade

Our sponsor @Tile Fix Direct has some cheaper 200mm wet blades, or at the other end you have the DNA

42B16BB0-A3DA-46BC-AA95-05D9C6CC23A5.jpeg 63DD6242-1909-470E-91EB-D723CD0DEDB9.jpeg

OP
R
Reaction score
So a quick google found a tile tool supplier, (can I name them? T.T.) with blades by Rubi at £44, Marcrist at £71 and Montolit at £125, so nearly double each time.

Is the montolit going to run for more than 3 times longer than a Rubi?

The montolit has a segmented edge, is that an advantage?

D

Dumbo

Its not just about how long something lasts , it's about quality of cut and how much faster one blade will cut compared to another after all time is money . There are tilers on this page that will of tried blades and thrown them away because they are not happy with the cut .

I

Italy

Its not just about how long something lasts , it's about quality of cut and how much faster one blade will cut compared to another after all time is money . There are tilers on this page that will of tried blades and thrown them away because they are not happy with the cut .
I usually give gifts, I don't throw them away ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Well today we got through 2 blades, ATS Turbo. Cheap at £30 but only getting 21 x 600mm cuts per blade, with the last cut taking 3 times longer than the first cut.

Montolit blade on order, hope to get a Marcrist turbo viper tomorrow so we can keep on going...

C

Concrete guy

We've had one other customer with the same symptom Richard. He'd already been through the expensive branded blades and was trying ours as he'd run out of options, but still ours didn't last.

After a number of conversations with him we figured out the product he was cutting, although described as porcelain, behaved more like a fully vitrified glass as it was so heavily compressed.

He solved the problem by dressing the blades he'd already bought.

The anatomy of a blade is diamond pressed into a metal matrix around the perimeter of a steel disc. The metal matrix is as important as the diamond in that it's matched to the product which is being cut. As the blade cuts, the metal slowly wears against the product and releases new diamond to do the cutting.

If there's not enough abrasion from the product the blade appears to dull and slow down, it's not exposing new diamond. This is why in your case the final cut took 3 times the first cut. The metal part of the matrix is not wearing, it's overheating and glazing over, in doing so it "locks" in the new diamond content and stops working.

Dressing the blade wears aware some of the metal matrix and exposes new diamond, this can generally be done with something abrasive like sandstone, concrete or a dressing block specifically designed for the job. You might find with your particular porcelain you're having to do this every 10 or 12 cuts to keep the blade running at optimum performance (whatever brand it may be).

It's worth trying before you throw more money at branded blades and risk the same problem.

Your batch of porcelain is an unusual thickness at 16mm. What brand is it and where did you buy it? It's good for us to know if we have a customer come across the same product/problem.

Example of blade dressing here:- What is a Dressing Stick and How Do You Use it on Diamond Tools - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jFJd07yTA

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R
Reaction score
We've had one other customer with the same symptom Richard. He'd already been through the expensive branded blades and was trying ours as he'd run out of options, but still ours didn't last.

After a number of conversations with him we figured out the product he was cutting, although described as porcelain, behaved more like a fully vitrified glass as it was so heavily compressed.

He solved the problem by dressing the blades he'd already bought.

The anatomy of a blade is diamond pressed into a metal matrix around the perimeter of a steel disc. The metal matrix is as important as the diamond in that it's matched to the product which is being cut. As the blade cuts, the metal slowly wears against the product and releases new diamond to do the cutting.

If there's not enough abrasion from the product the blade appears to dull and slow down, it's not exposing new diamond. This is why in your case the final cut took 3 times the first cut. The metal part of the matrix is not wearing, it's overheating and glazing over, in doing so it "locks" in the new diamond content and stops working.

Dressing the blade wears aware some of the metal matrix and exposes new diamond, this can generally be done with something abrasive like sandstone, concrete or a dressing block specifically designed for the job. You might find with your particular porcelain you're having to do this every 10 or 12 cuts to keep the blade running at optimum performance (whatever brand it may be).

It's worth trying before you throw more money at branded blades and risk the same problem.

Your batch of porcelain is an unusual thickness at 16mm. What brand is it and where did you buy it? It's good for us to know if we have a customer come across the same product/problem.

Example of blade dressing here:- What is a Dressing Stick and How Do You Use it on Diamond Tools - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-jFJd07yTA

Hi ATS, Thanks for that info! Very interesting. I have actually emailed some close up photos to alan at ATS.

I will try dressing the blade to see what happens.

The diameter has definately not worn down at all.

You can feel the cutting edge getting worse after about 3 600mm cuts. The first goes through like there's nothing there. After the third cut, you start to notice that there is a slight resistance. After 20 cuts, the cut takes forever.

Thanks for the info. I will post an update tomorrow if the dressing is successful. I have three ATS blades to recover!

OP
R
Reaction score
So I assume a Rubi Cleaning Block N is a dressing stick?

Can I use a bit of brick/block/breeze block to get me out of trouble, while I track down a dressing stick?

Reply to Best blade for porcelain cutting in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock