Discuss Beginner technique valid or not? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
If i find floor tiling too much of a challenge following standard procedures, would it be OK if I took my time and literally back trowelled the tile only and laid 1 tile at a time like that?

I had a go at trowelling the floor with a 10x10mm square notch to lay 20x20cm tile but made a bit of mess and ended up scrapping the idea and cleaned the floor and tiles ready to go again tomorrow.

I have a feeling my mix was a bit too wet , I followed the instructions 25Kg bag should use 5 litres of water, so I mixed 5Kg to 1 litre. And tiled onto ditra matting. I'm guessing because its plastic that the water doesnt go anywhere very fast. Do I need a slightly dryer mix? The comb lines looked wet and streaky.

I might try to back trowel the tile rather than to risk trying to trowel the floor again.

What are the potential drawbacks to doing this?

Cheers.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Sounds like you should get a tiler in buddy..... You can not just trowel adhesive onto the back of the tile and fix them that way, it will be a right mess. Find a recommended local tiler and use them

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
If it’s slumping then it’s either to wet or you haven’t let it slake but using it.
what adhesive is it?
As for just spreading the back of the tile, nope you need to trowel into the ditra and fill the voids and also lightly Back skim the tiles to create a good bond. Hope that helps.

Reply to Beginner technique valid or not? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks