Discuss Bathroom walls and floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I am in the process of tiling my bathroom walls and floor. I have purchased 600 x 600 porcelain tiles and I could do with some advice. I have been told that I should get 9mm marine ply laid over my floor boards. Is that correct advice.
I also would like to know if there is a best price / trade porcelain adheasive that will do for both the walls and floor. I will be putting the wall tiles onto plaster board and one uneven brick wall. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to proceed correctly. I had seen that you have to prime the plaster board before applying adheasive. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You had posted this in the Job Of The Month competition forum, so it has gone unanswered, I've moved this over to the tiling forum so somebody can help now.

Don't use any plywood in a bathroom. It's not the wood it used to be.

Cement-based backer board is the way to go. Or plasterboard and tank it.

Reaction score
You had posted this in the Job Of The Month competition forum, so it has gone unanswered, I've moved this over to the tiling forum so somebody can help now.

Don't use any plywood in a bathroom. It's not the wood it used to be.

Cement-based backer board is the way to go. Or plasterboard and tank it.
Thanks Dan.

Reaction score
I am in the process of tiling my bathroom walls and floor. I have purchased 600 x 600 porcelain tiles and I could do with some advice. I have been told that I should get 9mm marine ply laid over my floor boards. Is that correct advice.
I also would like to know if there is a best price / trade porcelain adheasive that will do for both the walls and floor. I will be putting the wall tiles onto plaster board and one uneven brick wall. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to proceed correctly. I had seen that you have to prime the plaster board before applying adheasive. Thanks in advance for any replys.
hi Charlida,

ply is a no no .. as mentioned use backerboard or a cement board, ply is no longer recognised by British Standards

I would use Bal Flex-one as this gives you enough working time and adjusting time but can be grouted after 6 hours and you don’t need to adjust the consistency for wall and floor..
You can also build up to 15mm using it where as other adhesives only build up to 6mm in isolated areas
And yes prime the board when using powders which is what you’ll need for large format tiles

Reply to Bathroom walls and floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks