Discuss Bathroom tiles lifting in new build extension in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

John Corbett

Hi

I hope someone can offer advice please. We had a large 2 storey extension on the side of our house 18 months ago. One of the new rooms created is an upstairs bathroom. We had a tiler tile the walls and floors. It looked fantastic but over time grout started to come out of some of the tiles and I could hear the tiles moving slightly when stepping on them. After around 9 months a large gap of approx 6mm had appeared all around the bottom corner of the room in the grout. I called the tiler back in and he regrouted the corner of the room. I mentioned 2 tiles seemed to be moving. And he said yeah they've popped. He didn't really say much of what the cause was. Muttered something about movement in extension floor and said he'd have to remove the toilet as one tile was under the toilet. He came back and bought 2 new tiles removed the toilet and replaced the 2 tiles at no charge. Since then more tiles are moving and small pieces of grout are coming out around these tiles. I did text him but I haven't heard back from him. I suspect that the significant drop in the floor has caused the tiles to lift. None have broken but I suspect it's a matter of time. I don't know what to do to resolve the situation. Any advise if anyone had had major problems with floor movement in new builds ? Cheers John

T

Time's Ran Out

Without knowing the substrate construction it’s difficult to assess.
Bound to be some drying out and slight movement, but to debond without cracking could be through tiling direct to waterproof weyroc.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Must of moved a fair bit to pop the tiles, either that or they weren't fitted properly in the first place....
Do you know no what the substrate is and what adhesive and grout was used..??

B

Bill

My tuppence worth...

Ok, it seems that you have massive floor movement/subsidence, which is not uncommon on new structures but I wouldn't solely blame the tiler.
Yes, the tiler could have issued warnings about said floor movement if they were aware that it could move so much (6mm approx, which is huge in movement terms) and tried to convince the builder to strengthen the floor. Alas, we were not privy to conversations or building constraints and timescales or procedure for you securing a deal with the builder/tilers.

The builder should do their best to ensure there is enough bracing to avoid movement deflection so I would suggest you contact the builder also so that you can resolve this professionally.

Take some photos if you can and post back here.

J

John Corbett

Thanks for your quick replies. Firstly I've probably overestimated the drop of 6mm in floor. Probably more like 3mm but sorry I'm guessing. I've attached some photos that show the missing grout. I remember the tiler did use flexible tile adhesive. Also based on the advice of another tiler who quoted for the job I asked the guy who did the job to put down plywood on floor as otherwise he said the tiles would probably crack. Sadly this didn't seem to help in terms of stopping some lifting. I did think about asking my builders advice. As I see it all the tiles need to come up which involves removal of bath, toilet and sink. I just see the dollar signs and get stressed thinking this shouldn't have happened but don't really think anyone is to blame in terms of my builder or tiler. The wall tiles he did are great and also the downstairs utility tiles laid on concrete are perfect

IMG_3563.JPG IMG_3564.JPG IMG_3565.JPG

B

Bill

Looks like massive movement to me and there are steps that MAY have prevented it but this would also involve more expense ie the laying of anti fracture matting, although not supposed to be for deflection up and down but not more for lateral movement, they will help with the slight deflection but not 3mm or more.

Quality of adhesive is a factor along with fixing methods but my main concern is, why so much movement. A building issue.

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
looks like a small grout joint for a floor too, really should be 3mm minimum. And yes anti fracture mat all day for me too.

D

Dumbo

Because a floor has dropped it doesn't mean it has vertical movement . It is possible it is joist shrinkage . I have had floors drop in new builds and the only thing needed to resolve the issue was to resilicone floor to wall joint . How thick was ply and as @Tom Astley i would use movement membrane

J

Just Rizzle

what were the joists made up of were they 8x2 or were they the more modern system of ply and 3x2
have seen 8x2 shrink up to 12 mm due to modern central heating and no air circulating the house

J

Just Rizzle

can you show pictures were the wall meats the floor those shots only show grout missing

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Shouda, wouda,coulda...Sometimes hard to put blame on someone ...but shouda used anti fracture matt... and coulda given a bigger joint... Of course ..IMPO..

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
There is only one sure way of finding out and that is to remove a tile and see what is going on underneath. If the tiles are loose it may be possible to remove one without too much inconveiniance. If you can also send in some pictures of the floor type and the back of the tile we may get more of an idea of what is going on. The spaces should not be left in as the grout won't stick to these and would de-bond and they will stop the grout joint being fully compacted.

J

John Corbett

Thanks for your advice guys. I was thinking of going back to Tile Choice and having a chat with them. The tiles that have lifted are all on the same side of the room. The ones under and around the bath are still sound. Not sure if this is just because the ones that have lifted are the ones we walk on most. I need to make a decision soon as I can see a tile breaking before long.

Reply to Bathroom tiles lifting in new build extension in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks