Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Bathroom Prep Help - Skimmed Walls in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All,

I have spent all day reading the forum but thought it best to ask the question direct for some feedback.

We have an ensuite in our new extension which we are tile, however, the builder has skimmed the entire room and did so before I knew the weight limits on skimmed walls etc. Needless to say I am in a catch 22 at the moment and need some advice really.

2 of the 4 walls are stud walls, one is dot and dab plasterboard onto the original house wall and the 4th wall is insulated plasterboard, so a real mix!

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the best solution as I have already bought porcelain tiles, which I know are over the 20Kg/m2 limit, but would it be cheaper to

A - Just buy new tiles that fall within the weight limit
B - Rip out the plasterboard and reboard (Hard to do with the insulated plasterboard wall and has to be insulated for building regs)
C - reboard with new plasterboard over the 3 walls using mechanical fixings (Which doesnt solve the problem with the insulated plasterboard??!)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic

W

Waluigi

Stud walls will be easy enough to take down and replace with a Tile backer board. Or perhaps bare plasterboard. Or even overboard the existing skimmed plasterboard with new plasterboard and screw into the studs.

The insulated plasterboard actually might be Fine to overboard with a thin XPS board, glued and screwed but using some nylon hollow wall fixings. Something like the Fischer Duopower plugs. These should bite into the insulated plasterboard. You should already have at least two mechanical fixings on the insulated board for the Fire Regs. I’d try to pop a few more in.

Dot and dabbed wall again can be overboarded and screwed.

Whether you use an XPS board or plaster board You’ll need the Metal washers. If using the washers on plasterboard then it’s best to use a large spade bit to remove a small amount of the paper face and core so that the washer sits flush.

OP
N

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
Stud walls will be easy enough to take down and replace with a Tile backer board. Or perhaps bare plasterboard. Or even overboard the existing skimmed plasterboard with new plasterboard and screw into the studs.

The insulated plasterboard actually might be Fine to overboard with a thin XPS board, glued and screwed but using some nylon hollow wall fixings. Something like the Fischer Duopower plugs. These should bite into the insulated plasterboard. You should already have at least two mechanical fixings on the insulated board for the Fire Regs. I’d try to pop a few more in.

Dot and dabbed wall again can be overboarded and screwed.

Whether you use an XPS board or plaster board You’ll need the Metal washers. If using the washers on plasterboard then it’s best to use a large spade bit to remove a small amount of the paper face and core so that the washer sits flush.

Thanks for the response, all makes sense. The insulated plasterboard has about a dozen mechanical fixings in it already so over boarding shouldn't be an issue the way you describe.

To be honest I am going to have to do the work myself and weighing up the time and new materials against the cost of new tiles is something I'll have to check out as although I already have tiles I could always shift them, got them on clearance at Wickes so didn't cost the earth!

Wish I'd read up about max weights before he plastered but you win some and lose some I guess. I would have thought a builder should know these things, but maybe that's expecting too much!!

OP
N

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
You certainly win this century's prize for optimism! ;)
It does amaze me that some trades don't consider the other, life would be so much easier and in this instance cheaper too.

Not sure what's wound me up more, the time and material I have already paid for to have it skimmed or the fact I'm going to have to fix the issue myself!

O

One Day

It does amaze me that some trades don't consider the other, life would be so much easier and in this instance cheaper too.

Not sure what's wound me up more, the time and material I have already paid for to have it skimmed or the fact I'm going to have to fix the issue myself!

Me too. For years I've wondered why we don't have more inspection and sign-off before completing work ready for the next trade.
I've decided that the reason is that it would begin to eliminate the stupids and the world is run by stupids so that would never do!

W

Waluigi

We are decades behind other countries.

Unfortunately it’s down to the consumer to do their homework.

OP
N

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
Me too. For years I've wondered why we don't have more inspection and sign-off before completing work ready for the next trade.
I've decided that the reason is that it would begin to eliminate the stupids and the world is run by stupids so that would never do!

It would definitely get rid of the cowboys and the stupid and make customers happier, but that would be far too much to ask!

OP
N

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
We are decades behind other countries.

Unfortunately it’s down to the consumer to do their homework.

Which is a shame really. As consumers we should be able to trust and rely on trades for the right info and expect a decent quality job, if you pay decent money of course!

Pay peanuts and you get Monkies they say!!

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Change for a lighter weight tile you said you can sell on the porcelain ones on ? then it problem solved and alot less work . Kop

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, have you weighed the tiles ?
I bet you are not far off withthe weights, unless they are 20mm thick ?
The limits are a guideline , and ive searched the net and I cannot find anywhere in the known world a cat being killed by a tile falling off a newly skimmed plasterboard wall never mind a human .
Im more or less 100% sure every tiler has exceeded the limit at some point j, i have many a time ;)
Waligi probably hasn’t though, i bet he is one of those blokes who stands at the side of the road waving his hands and pointing angrily when you are driving 32 in a 30 zone :) :)

OP
N

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
Change for a lighter weight tile you said you can sell on the porcelain ones on ? then it problem solved and alot less work . Kop

Thats what I am starting to think, everything is pretty much ready for tile, so not sure its worth ripping out again and starting fresh for the sake of a few quid on new tiles! Cheers

OP
N

Nic B

TF
Reaction score
Hi, have you weighed the tiles ?
I bet you are not far off withthe weights, unless they are 20mm thick ?
The limits are a guideline , and ive searched the net and I cannot find anywhere in the known world a cat being killed by a tile falling off a newly skimmed plasterboard wall never mind a human .
Im more or less 100% sure every tiler has exceeded the limit at some point j, i have many a time ;)
Waligi probably hasn’t though, i bet he is one of those blokes who stands at the side of the road waving his hands and pointing angrily when you are driving 32 in a 30 zone :) :)

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have weighed the tiles, just over 21kg/m2 for the tiles alone, chuck some addy and grout in and we at around 24 -25, which is why I am concerned.

I would agree that most tilers have gone over at some point ans that BS are probably way over cautious, much like most H&S rules! I we were at 21 including the addy and grout i'd have probably gone for it to be fair, but we have already spent double the original budget so if anything goes **** up in 6 months time i certainly wont have the money to sort it out and start again!!!

"ointing angrily when you are driving 32 in a 30 zone" - There's always one :D

Reply to Bathroom Prep Help - Skimmed Walls in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock